Chapter 5-Daedalus

The screaming and laughing drifted by me as I saw my father waving me over, away from the bustling gazebo. He was standing in an oak doorway by the church, even though rarely anyone practiced religion anymore -it was there purely for historical purpose. A look of pure anxiety was etched into his face. I strode over to him, nervously wondering what was to come if his expression was any hint.

I was seized by my shoulder as my dad led me away from the rambunctious crowd, and towards the quiet woods. He looked me sidelong and smiled slightly, but I could see how he was trying to hide his anxiety-anxiety I somehow knew wasn't for me.

Once we were out of earshot of anyone at the party, he turned to face me, his calm expression exchanged for a grave one. "Daedalus, son. We all know she got my brains and that's why I have to tell you this," He took a deep breath and continued, "Cherish the time you have with your sister now. Before it happens. Please, I know I should have. And it just make everything easier if we kept this to ourselves okay?" He finally released my shoulders, his nerves still thickening the air around us. "Yeah..." I said not paying attention to what he said next, something about breakfast? Still trying to decode what he said, I waved to him as he said goodbye.

In an instant, he was gone like the sun on a cloudy day, leaving me pondering the conversation, trying in vain to decode the words he had uttered. I turned my attention back to the party abruptly, eyes searching the crowd for Aer, but then I hesitated. Was what he said about Aer? Mind exhausted from a day of nonstop use, I gave up. It was probably nothing. Right as I looked back towards that party I noticed Moyra making her way through the crowd towards me, so I went to join her.