Chapter 17

"So what do you think?" Evey took another bite of veggie tortellini and eyed her dinner companion thoughtfully.

"I can't take another bite," Walton said, pushing his plate away. Evey giggled as Walton rubbed his Santa belly.

He shrugged. "It's wonderful, kid," he said, looking at her fondly. "Much like this little gem you've uncovered."

"I really can't take all the credit," Evey said, giving Walton a knowing look. "It seems that you've discovered it long ago. Why didn't you tell me that you knew about Watermelon Cove when I told you where I had moved to?"

Walton snuck in another bite of his vegetable-stuffed pasta and sat back. "Evey, I've been up and down this long state more times than I can even recall at my age. I've visited so many towns and I guess this slipped my mind when you first told me the name."

Just then, the waitress appeared and asked if dessert was on either of their minds. Evey was just going to politely decline when Walton announced that he was in the mood for a piece of berry pie.

"Excellent choice, sir," the waitress said. "It's sent over from The Studebaker. Our little town is famous for watermelons first and berry pie second."

"In that case, make it two pieces," Walton said. "One for the freckle-nosed dolphin, too."

"Very well, sir," the waitress said, walking off with a confused expression.

"Walton," Evey said. "I am stuffed. I can not eat another bite."

"Come on, do it for an old man. Don't make me eat dessert alone." Walton grinned.

"You're not that old," Evey said. She seized the opportunity to bring up something that had been on her mind. "Young enough to maybe find love again?"

Walton nearly tipped over his glass. "What? What on earth are you talking about?"

"Oh please," Evey teased. "Don't pretend as if you have no idea what I'm talking about." She leaned closer to the table and whispered, "Angela."

"Evey, I am a businessman," he said. "And when I'm in business mode, I conduct myself businesslike at all times." Evey decided that she would let it go for now but the sudden reddening of Walton's cheeks didn't escape her attention.

"You know, right before the waitress came over, I was going to tell you something." His usual jovial expression turned serious.

Evey nodded, paying close attention. She didn't like when Walton was serious. Since she had known him as a kid, he had always been the fun uncle-type. Even when he was in his self-described "business mode" he was still happy. That last time Evey had seen him with that same serious face had been at her parents' funeral.

"It was such an emotional showdown with the auction and all and it just didn't seem like the right time to tell you with all of the intensity going on," Walton said.

"Tell me... what?" Evey was confused. What could he have to tell her? Walton wasn't the kind of guy who would beat around the bush.

She watched as he inhaled. "I knew it as soon as I got there. The minute I stepped out of the car, I knew."

"Knew what?" Evey asked. "What did you know?"

"I've been to that house before, Evey," he said, exhaling.

"What? What do you mean?" Evey shook her head. "You've been to the Casteel farmhouse before?"

He nodded.

"Before the auction?" she asked. She felt her eyebrows draw together in confusion.

"Before today," he said, expelling another breath and looking out of the restaurant's window. "Long, long before today. Many moons ago."