Chapter Fifteen~ Killer Shoes and Interview

There wasn't a whole lot of time. She needed to start getting ready right away.

B followed her to her bedroom, and sat down on her bed. B had also grabbed her glass of vodka, and sipped at it as she watched Gwen rush around.

"I wonder why he didn't tell me earlier?" Gwen said.
It was strange. If he wanted to pull this off , surely he realized that he needed to give her more notice than this?

"Maybe it just came up," B said.

"Maybe..." Gwen replied. However, she felt that in a life like Aiden's, things rarely ever "just came up." Events like this were planned months in advance, weren't they?
No, something was definitely going on.

"Wow!" Beatrice said as Gwen pulled the dress on.

Gwen pulled the fell-length mirror out of her closet and then leaned it against the wall. Wow was right.
This dress looked great on her, even without being zipped up at the back. It hugged her waist and hips without being too tight, yet somehow still managing to flatter her figure.
And, being strapless, there couldn't be any annoying threads poking out over her shoulders to catch the attention of rich men.
Had he done that on purpose? Gwen wondered.

"Will you help me?" Gwen said.

Beatrice came over and helped zip the dress up. It tightened up a bit more around her, but she could still breathe. The bodice exposed just enough of her cleavage, pressing her breasts together, to be suggestive without also being lewd.
Gwen twisted and turned, watching that shimmering effect of the fabric.

"It's things like this that make me think I'm playing for the wrong team," Beatrice said, "Here, try the shoes."

Gwen slipped those on, putting one hand on B's shoulder for balance. She suddenly felt a lot taller, and even had to take a step back from the mirror (the heels clicking on the floor as she did) so that she could see the full effect.
The shoes accentuated the curve of her back, and she could already tell that they were out to kill her feet. But even she had to admit she looked good.

"Fine, very fine," B said.

"Yeah..." Gwen said, her initial apprehension and annoyance at having a second last-minute social engagement disappearing. Had Aiden picked this out?

Beatrice cleared her throat, "If you're done checking yourself out for now, I think you need to keep getting ready."

"Oh!" Gwen said, glancing at the clock.
It was already almost 8:30 and she still needed to do something about her hair. She spun around, intending to get to the bathroom, but instead tripped over her own feet. She hadn't walked in heels in a long time.

"Are you sure you haven't had any drinks today?" B said, catching her and letting her regain her balance.

"Quiet, you," Gwen said.

Somehow, she managed to make her hair look not terrible, apply some makeup to make her face look not exhausted, and made it down to the front entrance of her apartment with five minutes still on the clock.

Though her feet already throbbed, despite only having the shoes on for a half hour or so. She decided to leave them off while they were in the car. Give her body some time to recharge.
For some reason, the butterfly wings of nerves and anxiety battered against her stomach. So much so that she hardly noticed the cool evening air on her bare shoulders.
Beatrice waited with her until the limo pulled up to the curb. She gave Gwen's hand a squeeze as the driver stepped out to open her door.

"Remember, he likes you," B said.

"I'll try."

"Hey, look at it this way. You had a dream about him last night. After he gets a look at you in this dress, I can guarantee he's gonna have a similar experience tonight. That, or he's gay. I know what I'm going to dream about!"