Chapter Thirty Three~ Backup

How do you stop someone with the resources of a giant multinational corporation behind them? That was the million dollar question.

Though, given the circumstances, perhaps hundred billion dollar question was a touch more apt. They'd ordered room service for supper, neither wanting to risk going outside and being recognized. Maybe it was just that all Gwen's brain blood was in her stomach, digesting the salmon fillet she'd eaten, that kept her from seeing a solution.

"You're sure you don't know anything we could use? You don't have any dirt on him, or whatever?" Gwen said.

"Dirt?" Aiden said, amusement twinkling in his eyes, "Are we in a 1940s gangster movie now?"

The sparkle disappeared. "No, I don't have anything like that on him. He was always so careful not to share that sort of thing with me. When I was growing up at home—during those few periods I was allowed home between the private schools he always kept me enrolled in—every time he'd have someone over for business, he'd lock himself and his cohorts away in his study. He even had the maid keep me away from the door, like he was afraid I'd listen in through the keyhole or something like that."

That sounded like Henry all right, keeping an emotional and physical distance from his son. Although, if Gwen really thought about it, it almost sounded protective. Keep his son from learning anything that could incriminate him in his father's misdoings. She thought of how she thought she'd seen in chink in the elder Manning's armor back at his office, after she'd gotten angry and revealed that she knew about his wife.

That turned her onto a different tack. "Okay, so even though Carbide Solutions has been involved in multiple lawsuits, we can't find any corporate dirty laundry to use as leverage. What about personal stuff? I bet a guy like Henry is into some weird stuff."

Aiden frowned at her, shaking his head to show his misunderstanding.

"You know, weird stuff. Like Fifty Shades type-stuff." She waggled her eyebrows.

Aiden pinched the bridge of his nose. It was a gesture of frustration she'd come to call 'the Gwen.' And she loved bugging him enough to do it.
"Oh, come on, you know what I mean," she said.

"Unfortunately, yes. Continuing in this line of misfortune, I also have no idea about that sort of thing, either. Does it really seem like we're chummy enough with each other for him to share that sort of thing?" Aiden said.

The frustration really started getting to Gwen. Standing, crossing her arms tightly, she began pacing. "Well, he knew about the girlfriend contract right away apparently. He keeps tabs on you. I thought that maybe... you might also keep tabs on him."

Aiden flung up his hands. "I. case you haven't noticed, I do my best to not be like him."

Gwen sighed and then leaned against the window frame. The last bit of light from dusk was beginning to fade, and the cars all drove with their headlights on. From that vantage point, she got a good look at a bar on the other side of the street. It had a big neon sign that read COLD BEERS. Gwen snorted. What, not BEERZ? Wasn't that the style, to add a Z instead of an S? That thought lead to recalling that night she and Beatrice had gotten into their fatal argument. In all the excitement over the past 24 hours, Gwen hadn't really spared any thoughts for her friend. The food in her stomach turned into a heavy ball, and now she regretted eating. Yeah, B is probably out at a club right now, partying with a bunch of rich guys. Who knows, maybe Astor is throwing another party and she's on a mission to get five more numbers? B always seemed to know about these people.

"That's it!" Gwen said, the realization staggering her.

"What's it? Is something wrong?" Aiden said, starting from his chair to come help her. She faced him, her body buzzing with giddy energy.