To the Moon and Back

I can't help you.

His fingers ached as he signed the words, and he struggled to hold back the anger, the frustration, the utter anguish at his helplessness. Something had been stirring in him for years, ever since he learned who he was and why he was, and now that fiery passion simply boiled inside him, raging against his lips to escape and burn everything to the ground.

"Shut up," she whispered calmly, her voice hiding an equally fierce storm waiting to surge. Erin reached for his hands suddenly, forcefully carrying out her order before he could continue. "I know you're intelligent, Turiah, amazingly genius beyond anyone's wildest imagination. But you never do understand these common, everyday things, do you?"

Erin stared intently into his eyes, squinting hers so as to communicate this most absolutely serious of moments. "You have been so patient with me, when I have been nothing but impatient and cranky towards you. No, stop moving your stupid hands and listen to me," she demanded, squeezing his hands tighter. "All along, I never stopped to question why sadness followed you like a shadow, why your hands started shaking when I mentioned my home or family.

"And yet, after all I've put you through with my complaining, you've been my constant friend through these months. Now don't start all that business about 'Oh, I'm sooo lucky to have a friend like YOU, Erin,' cause man, you've got it completely backwards. I came here selfish, scared to live a life outside my beautiful books, and you have drastically changed all that. You showed me what it means to truly care so much about people, about family, that you would do anything before you hurt them. Because of you, Turiah, I learned that not everyone has an opportunity to live a full life of adventure, and any opportunity to do so should not be flippantly ignored. You brought me out of my books, and into real life, which, as it turns out, doesn't have to be so scary. Thank you."

At last, she took a deep breath and let go of his hands, only to find out that he still held a firm grip on hers. His burning eyes seemed to stare deep into her soul, as if he could somehow communicate all the words he still wanted to say.

The city bell sounded in the distance, calling attention to the sun's renewed appearance. Turiah immediately dropped Erin's hands and turned to look out the window. Sure enough, the sun had started peeking over the trees. Looking back at his first and last friend, Turiah felt something deep inside his chest crack, ever so slightly, as it had many years ago upon first hearing the truth.

To the moon and back, right?

"You got it."

The saddest and smallest of smiles. Then Turiah turned and left the room, taking the early morning sunshine with him.