8

George took a tentative step forward, and Andy followed. The Atlantean gave them a weird, emotionless look. Its pupils dilated and it reached out to touch George with a three-fingered hand. George flinched, unsure that he wanted a foreign body touching him. This creature was millions of years old and lived undersea for thousands of years. Who knows what diseases it harbored.

           As if reading his thoughts, the Atlantean spoke kindly, "I am purged of any bacteria or viruses harmful to your species. You need not take caution. I am not a threat."

             George relaxed, believing every thought. He let the dinosaur caress his face and study him closely. "You are obviously a relatively sentient species, based on your results and brain scans," it said, retracting its arm.

            "B-brain scans?'' Andy stuttered nervously.

            "Yes. The test not only challenged your basic math abilities, it scanned your cerebris for higher thought functions."

             "S-so you can read our minds!?" he asked, slightly paranoid.

             "No. That is what our aliena cogitatio receptores  are designed for."

             "Your what?''

              The Atlantean raised its hand and pointed to a spot on the top of its head. "Our 'foreign thought receptors,' " it explained. "That is what we would use to......read your minds?" it added questionably.

               It lowered its hand and continued on what it was original going to say. "Our technology has determined that the human race is highly intelligent for its young age. But scans of the planet have determined that humans are not completely aware. You have not yet reached complete awareness. But the council has decided to allow humanity to undergo the 'Ultimate Test of Species Maturity.' This test varies according to the species." 

            The Atlantean became silent as it secretly communicated with the council members deep within Atlantis. As they reached an agreement, the dinosaur stared at George and Andy with a forlorn look in its eyes.

             Once again, it spoke softly: "Humanity has failed. You may now return to your previous location."