Chapter 7

"Where are you taking me? I don't like surprises."

Zendaya fiddled with the blindfold. She wasn't lying, she hated surprises. She desperately wanted to take it off, but at the same time, she didn't. Val had been practically giddy, when he had picked her up, and she didn't want to ruin it for him.

"Patient little one. All will be revealed in time."

She turned her head so he couldn't see the smile that was betraying her tone of frustration. They had been driving for about twenty minutes, and Zendaya had no idea where they were headed. She had imagined all kinds of scenarios in her head for the last twenty minutes. Where he was taking her, what was gonna happen.What was happening?

The car abruptly stopped and Zendaya felt the knot in her stomach tighten.Breathe. Just breathe.

"Ok we're here. Hold still, I'm gonna open the door for you."

Seconds later she heard a door being slammed and another one being opened. She felt his hand grab hers, as he helped her out of the car. It was sweaty. Maybe he's as nervous as I am? Of course he isn't.

His hand never left hers, as he guided her. Through a walkway that smelled like roses, up 5 steps and then through a door. The house they were in smelled like lemons. It stung her nose a bit, but she quickly got used to the smell. He led Zendaya through what she could only think was a corridor and then stopped. She heard him opening a door and then he took the blindfold off. What she saw took her breath away. It was a dance studio, illuminated by dozens of fairy lights. As she walked further in, she saw that a table for two had been set in the corner. By one of the chairs was a rather large box.

"Go on, open it" Val nudged her a bit and she walked towards the box. It was white and had a purple bow. She opened and noticed purple wax paper. As she pulled it back, she felt astonished.

She felt Val's presence near her, and as she turned around, he was mere inches away from her.

"Do you like it?"

"It's a ... dress?" She still couldn't wrap her head around this gift.

"It's a gown. It's used in ballroom dancing. See ... " He pulled the gown out of the box and held it in front of her. It was beautiful. She could tell just by looking at it that it would fall close to her body, but it still wasn't too form fitting. It had a sweetheart neckline with one sheer sleeve, the other one non-existent. There were embellishments from the neckline down to the waist; light pink flowers. She touched the fabric, chiffon and satin.

A sudden wave of anxiety came rushing. What was he doing? "This is ... this is too much. I'm never going to wear this." She looked at him, an eager look grazing his features.

"You're going to wear this now. And I will wear the tuxedo that is in the box over there." He pointed at a box that was rested against the foot of the other chair. "And we are going to dance, probably incredibly badly, but we are going to enjoy ourselves. Because that's what life is truly all about."

Zendaya just stared at him, as he handed her the dress. "If you walk back outside to the corridor there's a room on the right that you can use to change. And don't forget the shoes" He bent down and grabbed shoes off the floor, something that Zendaya hadn't even seen until now. "I had to guess your measurements but I'm pretty good with that. I have keen interest in fashion, not women's measurements." He smiled at her and told her to go get ready, as he did the same.

Zendaya found the room but instead of undressing she just stood in the middle of the floor. No one had ever done anything like this before. She didn't know what was happening. She felt every kind of emotion right now. Her whole body tingled, but she could still feel the fear in the pit of her stomach and the anxiety that was filling her chest.

She took a deep breath, as she took off all her clothes. She put on the dress and zipped it up. It was almost all backless, although the zipper did reach her lower back. She reached for the shoes and noticed a beautiful hair clip that was pinned to one of the straps. It was the same flower as the ones on her dress. She put on the heels and clipped the accessory in her hair. She looked at her self in the mirror, and she liked what she saw. Maybe this is how others see me?

She didn't know how long she had been in the room, when she emerged from it. She walked back into the studio, and there he stood. White shirt, black bow. He had never looked this handsome. And he was looking at her like she was the most beautiful woman in the world. I want you.

He held a small remote in his hand and pointed it in the direction of some speakers that were on a table by the wall. A slow song came on, she didn't recognize it, but the beat felt soothing. He bowed down to her and reached out his arm. She walked towards him, a bit wobbly on her feet because of the heels, and put her hand gently in his. He raised their arms, gesturing for her to spin. She tried, and as she was about to fall down, he grabbed her and pressed their bodies together.

His mouth almost touched her ear, as he whispered "I dare you to let go of everything you have ever thought of yourself. I dare you to trust me, to let me lead you. I dare you to show me who you really are. I dare you to move."

She couldn't form any words; a nod of the head was the only affirmation he got.

They started moving across the floor with Zendaya stumbling ever so often and Val holding her tighter and tighter so she wouldn't fall. And even though she wasn't as refined as she had looked when not in motion, she felt as though she was floating.

The song ended and Zendaya felt disappointment starting to settle until she heard piano and strings fill the studio. Latch. She knew this song. She loved this song. They moved together in perfect unison; slowly but surely moving closer to each other with every step until Val's hands had from her palms and were resting in her waist. Her arms automatically moved to around his neck and as soon as Sam Smith started on the chorus a second time, Zendaya did something that she had thought was entirely impossible for her to do. She kissed him.

She had taken herself by surprise and she felt unsteady on her feet but soon as she felt Val's hands travel to her back and his grip tighten. She relaxed into him, pressing he chest into his and she could've sworn she could feel both of their heartbeats. His stubble, that had been scratching her face in a pleasing way, started to become uncomfortable. She pulled back, ending the kiss but still wanting more. Val put both of his thumbs on her cheeks, gently rubbing circles on the spots that were the most red. He lowered his head a bit so that they were forehead to forehead and just looked at her, a look of pure joy in his eyes, and Zendaya knew. She knew that this was only the beginning.