Chapter 10

Zendaya spent the rest of the evening thinking about his words. She knew that his frustrations had gotten the better of him and he had put her under unwanted pressure. But at the same time he was right. She could only admit it to herself but she did want a career as an artist. She wanted to paint and draw the beauty and the heartbreak that could be found in this world. She started arranging what she believed to be her best work into a portfolio, labelling it with her name and every other information that was needed. She wrote a letter, detailing why she should win the contest and the chance to study abroad in Paris. She put the portfolio on her nightstand, not really knowing what to do with it. Just in case she thought as she slowly drifted to sleep dreaming of Val.

The next day

Val felt awful. He hadn't slept at all the whole night and although he had kept himself from calling her, knowing full well that he was to blame and trying to give her some space, he couldn't wait to go see her.

He arrived at her house and rang the doorbell. There was no reply but he could hear voices coming from the backyard. He went around the house and was met by Claire, Kazembe and a few other people that he had never met before.

"Oh Val, what a nice surprise! Did Daya tell you about our family day? Are you here to join us?"

He greeted the faces he did not know and then spoke to Claire. "No, she didn't mention it. But I am here to see her, is she around?"

"Well we asked her to run to the store but that was a while ago so she's probably inside. Just go check."

"Thanks Mrs. Cole ..." She shot him a dirty look and he corrected himself " ... Claire."

He walked in through the sliding doors that led to the living room and called out her name. No answer. He walked to the second floor, again calling out her name but again there was no answer. As he walked into her bedroom he noticed the portfolio on her nightstand. A jolt of pride ran through his body as he opened it.She is capable of such great things.

His phone ringing surprised him. He looked at the screen. Papa. Insecurity and doubt washed over him and before he realised what he was doing he grabbed the portfolio and walked outside to his car. After a quick Google search he set his way to the offices of the Art Institute. He submitted her portfolio. The woman at the front desk wasn't going to accept it at first, since he was submitting someone else's work but he managed to smooth talk his way in. "A'right, but you have to give me the email address so I can send the confirmation letter." He had known that Daya would have to find out; maybe he could get to her before she checked her email? "Of course, it's dayacoleman@gmail.com"

"A'right, and maybe a phone number. Yours?" She gave him a wink and he almost wanted to gag, mainly because of the smell of her perfume.

"I'm sorry but I'm very much a taken man."

"No exceptions?"

"No exceptions."

"That's one lucky girl."

"I'm one lucky man." And I hope I'll continue to be.

As he walked out of the building his father called again and this time Val answered.

"Dad."

"Valentin! Why have you not been answering my calls?"

"I'm sorry, I've been busy. Just got out when you called."

"Can we meet for a late lunch?"

Val knew that this was something that he had to do and accepted the offer. It only took him 15 minutes to drive to the restaurant where his father had already taken his space, the email Zendaya was about to receive long forgotten.