chapter 5 - Beer Bad

We were all in Professor Walsh's Psyche class.

Buffy, Willow and I were sitting together.

Buffy was watching Parker and a girl flirting a few rows in front of us.

"These are the things we want," Walsh told us. "Simple things. Comfort, sex, shelter, food. We always want them, and we want them all the time. The id doesn't learn. It doesn't grown up. It has the ego telling it what it can't have, and it has the superego telling it what it shouldn't want, but the id works solely out of the pleasure principle. It wants. Whatever social skills you've learned, however much we've evolved, the pleasure principal is at work in all of us. So, how does this conflict with the ego manifest itself in the psyche? What do we do when we can't have what we want?"

   ~~~~   

Buffy, Willow and I were sitting at a table on the campus, studying.

Xander was standing in front of us, holding a lit lighter toward me. "Rough day?" I gave him an amused look. "Come on, Zo. Be a lonely drunk. Rough day?"

"Stop flicking at me," I told him.

"Work with me here," Xander told us. "I'm finally an essential part of your college-y life. No more looking down on the townie. I'm the new bartender over at the pub. Got my lighter, my rag, my empathy face."

"Aren't you too young to be a bartender?" Willow asked.

"Oh, contraire, mon frere," Xander told her.

"Mon frere means brother," I told hi.

"Mon girlfrere," Xander told us.

"If you're trying to say sister, it's 'ma soeur'," I told him.

"Well, look at the Zo, getting all wise," Xander told us, showing us an ID. "Behold."

The picture on the ID was of Xander with a mustache.

"I don't believe this is entirely on the up-and-up," Willow told us.

"What gives it away?" Xander asked.

"Looking at it," Willow answered.

"Well, no one's gonna see it, anyway," Xander told us, putting the ID into his shirt pocket. "Now I'm the bartender. I kick people out."

"You know there's more to it than wiping and kicking?" Buffy asked. Xander looked at us in confusion. "Mixing drinks, for instance."

"Well, I've seen cocktail," Xander told us. "I can do the hippy-hippy shake."

"Well, even if I've had a pretend cigarette, I couldn't tell you my pretend problems," Buffy told him. "The real ones have clogged up my head space."

"Ooh, unload them right here, baby," Xander told her, flicking his lighter, holding it toward Buffy. "Rough day? You wanna talk about it?" Buffy gave him a look. Xander put his lighter away. "Shutting up now."

"I'm pregnant by my stepbrother, who'd rather be with my best friend, who's left me with no place to live,  no food, except for this bottle of wild turkey, which I drank all that up," Willow told him. Xander looked at her in confusion. Willow smiled. "That was me being tanked and friendless for you."

"Gets my Oscar nod," Xander told her.

"You know what?" I asked. "It's class time."

Buffy, Willow and I gathered our things, standing.

"So, you gonna come by tonight to the pub?" Xander asked.

"Oz, Bronze, date," I told them.

"Studying for a huge test coming up," Willow told us.