CHAPTER 4

"You're late." Eva scowls as she enters Aby's car.

"There Is this thing called being fashionably late."

"But you know that no one .. " Aby cuts her off " No one makes Eva wait."

He chuckles and she scowls again. "What's so funny?"

"You haven't changed a bit in these three years."

"Neither have you." She smiles. "By the way how is Caitlyn?"

He turns to her shocked.

"Eyes on the road please!" she scolds him and then slowly registers his expression of pain.

"Hey what's wrong?"

"You mean you don't know?" His grip tightens around the steering wheel.

"Know what?" Eva barely whispers, scared by Aby's reaction.

"She died Eva." he says and stops the car. Eva makes him look at her.

"Caitlyn died. She left me." he says again and this time Eva hugs him hard. She feels him trembling and pats his back gently.

"It's going to be okay."

"But she promised me. She promised that she would never leave me." he says and sits back straight. Eva notices that he is thinking.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"It's too painful to remember." He says and then his expression quickly changes.

"I am sorry Eva. I didn't mean to burden you with all this."

"Hey. You don't have to be sorry. In fact, I am the one who should be sorry. I brought this up."

"Do you mind if I skip the party tonight?"

"No, I don't. I understand. But I think it will help you in distracting yourself."

"What kind of a distraction are you exactly talking about, Eva?" He smirks.

"Oh my god. You are such a pig. So are we going then?"

"Well alright." he says and starts driving again.

We hear the loud music as we enter the house. I hold his hand and drag him around the house to introduce him to Ashley.

"Hey Ashley!"

Ashley turns around and gives Eva a big hug. "Glad you could make it!"

"Hey, this is my friend Aby." I say and she looks at him surprised.

"I saw you in school today." she says.

"Well yeah, I am the new guy." he smiles.

"Oh, well hello Aby. Welcome to my humble abode. Please make yourself comfortable."

"Ah, don't worry about my comfort. " he winks and walks off towards a group of boys.

"Wow. Great catch Eva. A complete hottie." Ashley says to Eva.

"Oh we are childhood friends. There's nothing more." Eva gushes and Ashley brightens up.

"Oh. I see. I have a chance then."

"Off you go girl !" Says Eva and walks towards the bar to grab a drink.