Chapter Two: Challenge

"I don't care if you've been summoned, you should at least have a sword and shield, otherwise you're not getting through!"

        "You fat piece of Keese dung, Mido, move! You don't have those either!"

        That hit the spot. Mido, a tall yet scrawny, red short-haired and freckled boy, flinched, and his already red face grew redder, almost obscuring the freckles that dotted his face out of embarrassment.

        He and Mido had always butted heads for as long as Link could remember. The earliest memory he had of him was his look of distrust, and the second earliest was getting pushed into a mud puddle. At first he had been so distraught by the treatment he was dealt that he would shut himself away for days at a time. It was only until Saria would come for him that he would be willing to leave the comfort of his home. After some time though, he grew calloused toward the harsh treatment, and eventually he even grew bold enough to fight back. Sometimes those fights got dirty.

        The two clashed at the entrance to the path leading to the Great Deku Tree, where today Mido had decided to stand guard. And of course, Mido couldn't pass up the chance to harass him. This was the second excuse to say he couldn't pass. The first was simply because he had no fairy.  Of all the things Mido loved to hate him for, perhaps the greatest reason was because he had never had a fairy of his own. It was that reason, for that matter, that most of the rest of the Kokirians chose to leave him be. True, they were friendly when he spoke to them, polite to him when he was with them, but he always thought he saw pity in their eyes. Some made a point to outright ignore him and avoided him at all costs. But it was Mido who had chosen to openly show his contempt for him. All for, so it would appear, because he had no fairy.

        Upon seeing Navi though, he had made a double-take. True, technically Navi wasn't his fairy, but he had played on it, and thankfully Navi had not objected. In fact, a quick glance her way told him she seemed to be enjoying herself watching the two of them.

        Watching him, primarily. He found it a little awkward, really, being watched. She was observing him, looking for something...

        She noticed his gaze, and quickly looked away. He gazed only a moment longer, then faced Mido again. This was more important at the moment. Mido opened his mouth, having recovered enough to speak.

        "W-well, not on me now, no, I don't...but I have them! And you don't!" He seemed satisfied with this answer, as if this made any other argument invalid. Link growled, annoyed. He was lying through his teeth, he had no sword, no one did. There was one, the Kokiri Sword, but it was hidden away. He would have a shield, though, and he himself owned one as well. A sword though...

        "Fine, I'll go get my shield and sword that apparently I must have." He turned and stalked away, back towards the way he had come. He had no idea what to do about the sword, but for now he would grab his shield.

      Navi fluttered into his vision, forcing him to stop in his tracks as she halted in front of him, arms crossed and an equally cross look on her face. "And where do you think you're going?"

        "To get a sword and shield, like I said I was going to."

        She raised an eye, apparently not convinced. "And you own these?"

        "Not a sword," he sighed. "But I'll get one. I'll find the Kokiri Sword, and I'll show Mido, and I'll go to the Great Deku Tree."

        "Uh-huh. And how do you plan on doing that?"

        Link lowered his head, the conviction wavering. How was he going to? He didn't know where it was, just the rumors about it. But...rumors always had some truth to them, right? Maybe he could find it after all. He looked up to see Navi still there, looking at him expectantly.