Chapter Five: Exodus

He remained in that glade for a long time. He said nothing. Neither he, nor Navi. She knew for now to leave him be. But she did not leave him. She was now bound to him, and he to her. She was his companion, his confidant, his aide, and his friend.

        So she remained a silent comfort. In a sense, they were there simply for each other. She was hurting just as much, though she did a better job of hiding it. She was quite familiar with death, with her kin, mostly. The Great Deku Tree was a loss that no one could have ever expected, however. He was timeless, as old as the world, and was expected to continue to exist until the end of time. But his time was cut short.

        She stared at Link, his face obscured by his mid-length hair. The Great Deku Tree placed so much faith in him. Even to the point of death, he had charged Link, and her, with a task. She knew not his reasons, could not perceive his wisdom. She could feel that this was the beginning of something life-changing. And he had chosen this boy to be placed into the hands of fate. 

        Several hours passed before Link willed himself to action. It was evening now, the sun somewhere on the horizon, obscured by the forest. The sky was purple, the clouds contrasting orange from the little sun left. The warmth of the day was fading and replaced by a cool breeze welcoming the night. He rose, and walked out of the glade. Somewhere in the back of his mind, he was worried, anxious, afraid even, of what the others would say when they discovered what had happened. If they hadn't already guessed. But at the moment, he did not care. Let them do as they wished, he was leaving. He would have even if the Great Deku Tree had not commanded it. But he had, which only gave him more reason to do so.

        As he came to the entrance to the village, he felt his feelings sink even further. Mido was there, waiting for him, a mix of emotions on his face he could not quite place. Mido would just make things worse. The pity he had felt before was gone, replaced by a contempt he had not known he possessed.

        It was Mido who spoke first, ever the bold one, ever more pompous.

        "Link..." he began. He let the name hang in the air. It was the first time he had ever spoken his name without adding some kind of insult. His voice trembled slightly, whether in sorrow or anger he did not know. He stopped a few feet short of him, staring straight into his eyes, hoping his eyes would be enough to tell the truth.

        There were others then, he realized. Only a handful. At their doors, on the dirt paths. All stopping to stare at him. Some had looks of anger. Others had their eyes red from tears, like his. There was no one in between.

        He had to say something. Anything. "Mido, I-"

        "What by the spirits did you do, Link?! The Great Deku Tree is dead, isn't he?! We all felt it, did you do it?! You must've, you're the last one who saw him! You're nothing but dirt; it's all your faul-"

        "Enough!" Link cried, his sword in his hand, tip inches from Mido's throat before he realized it. He made no move to strike, only threaten. And it did the trick. Mido made no impression to speak further, his mouth hanging open in mid-word, his expression shock, all anger flushed from his face.

        "I did what I could to save him, you piece of keese dung. I did everything I could, but it wasn't enough. He was cursed, Mido, and he was going to die whether I broke the curse or not."

        "Cursed?" Mido squeaked out. There was a trace of doubt in his voice. Link wouldn't take chances on that doubt building.

        "The Great Deku Tree told me."

        "It's true," Navi interjected, lifting off Link's shoulder into the air between them. "I cannot say why the Great Deku Tree acted so late, but he did not die quietly. Even unto death, he gave us two final commands and charged us with the keeping of an item."