Chapter 7: An Unexpected Visitor

Tommy was planning on how to prove that Eli was a burden. Zoe went to change Eli's bandages and she could see that Eli's back wound was getting infected. She started to clean it again. Eli was waking up now that he had been moved to his side. He opened his eyes. "huh...where..." he mumbled.

Zoe looked at him. "oh you're awake! how do you feel?" She asked.

"sore..." Eli said.

"im just changing your bandages." she said. "but tell me, do you remember how you fell down the cave?"

Eli tried to remember but his head started to hurt badly. "I...I cant remember" he said.

Zoe sighed. "don't push yourself." she said. She was almost done changing bandages and cleaning the gashes.

When she was done, she stood up. "ill get you something to eat" She said and left the room. she went into the kitchen and made pancakes.

Tommy comes in. he was planning something for Eli but would wait for the right moment. "you still making food for that burden?" he asked harshly.

"hes not a burden, hes a person" Zoe said. She didn't like that her brother thought Eli was still a burden.

She carried the finished pancakes up to Eli. "here you go" she said.

"that looks yummy" Eli said.

She helped him sit up before giving the food. Eli ate hungrily.

"im going to get some air" Zoe said. "so just stay in bed and rest"

Eli nodded. "I will." he said. Zoe left and she went out of the house, unaware that Twist was coming closer to the house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Twist was getting closer to the house and he sees that its a pretty small house but it was more like a cottage. 'Interesting....Is that where Eli Shane is?' He thought. He had to get closer. He got at least 3 feet when the door opened. He hid behind a tree when he sees Zoe exit the house.

He wondered if she knew where Eli Shane was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zoe breathed in the fresh air. She knew she had her hands full with Eli but she had to do it so he could recover. She hears a twig snap and turned around.

Twist muttered something under his breath. He had to figure out how to get in that house.

He went around to the back of the house but didn't see a slug trap and when he stepped on it, it sprung and sank its spikes into his leg.

He gasps put in pain and tried to get free but it only caused the spikes to sink deeper.

Zoe hears a snap and she turned. "Who's there?"She said.

Twist froze. He had been heard. But maybe someone will help me. He thought. He pulled and a scream escaped from him.

Zoe hears it and she went to the sound. She didn't have her blaster at this time but if she did have it, she would have it armed and ready.

She reached the spot where Twist was and gasped.

"Oh dear."she said and went to pull twist out but when she pulled, the spikes sank deeper and twist yelped.

"Hold still"Zoe said. She pulled harder.

Twist whined in pain. When he was finally freed, he fell on his back, dizzy.

Zoe tried to get him up. She sees that his leg is badly injured and needed medical help. "Come on dearie, lets get you inside."she said. Twist nodded.

She gets Twist to stand and she started to help him inside the house.