Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

"Veronica!" Mom yelled from downstairs. I groaned and rolled over onto my stomach and put my pillow over my head. "Veronica, come on. Get up! We're going to miss the flight!" She said, now standing in my room. Mom began to yank the blankets off my bed. I held onto them for dear life.

"Ten more minutes." I pleaded. Mom sighed and surrendered my blanket back to me. It was quiet and I smiled into my sheets.

"Veronica, it is ten o'clock in the morning. The flight leaves at eleven." My mom suddenly said.

My eyes shot open. "Oh no!" I screeched jumping out of bed and rushing to the bathroom. My mom began making my bed as she chuckled to herself. Within a half hour I was fully dressed and ready. I flew down the stairs and went into the kitchen.

"Slow down, it's only nine- thirty." My mom said. I looked from her to the clock and then to her again.

"But you said..." I trailed off.

"Only said that because you weren't getting up." I shot her a glare and began rummaging in the fridge. For breakfast, I settled on making a fruit smoothie and having a granola bar. When ten o' clock came around, mom and I left for the airport. We didn't want to hit traffic.

"Mom, do we really have to go visit grandma? And stay the whole summer? I was supposed to hang with the girls. We were supposed to do our bucket list together. Now I have to do it alone." I mumbled as we pulled up at the airport.

"I'm sorry, sweetie, but I wasn't going to let you stay home alone all summer long. And like I said before, grandma doesn't mind if they fly out for a week and stay." Mom said as she looked around the parking lot for an open spot. Once she found one she parked and we got out. We pulled our luggage out of the trunk. "Oh, cheer up, Veronica. It's been two years since you saw your grandma. I'm sure there are kids your age in the neighborhood."

I sighed and dragged my suitcase behind me as we made our way into the crowded airport. "Okay." I whispered. Mom and I went through security and went to Star Bucks to wait and grab something to drink. All mom wanted was coffee.