Chapter One

"Come on in, sit down." Joanna said as she walked to the kitchen.

"Where's mother?" Coraline asked. "I want to see her."

"Cora, your mother-"

"Why did she give her last life to a mortal?!" Coraline interrupted. "Did she forget about me?"

"No, Cora, she never forgot about you! She just thought that you were dead. After your grandfather took you away from her, she never thought she would see you again. She figured that once he took advantage of your powers he would kill you just like everyone else."

Cora chuckled.

"The only problem with that is that when I was young, he did take advantage of my powers. As I got older though, and grew into them, I became stronger, and just as powerful as he was. Not strong enough to overthrow him, but strong enough to keep him away from my father and I for good."

Cora looked at her feet.

"Is mother's body still here? I can try to bring her back."

Joanna looked at Cora sadly.

"The only person that was strong enough to resurrect someone without consequences was your grandfather."

"Aunt Joanna, anyone can do it. You must be incapable of loving. That was my curse, unfortunately. Grandfather took away my ability to love."

Joanna was about to take a step forward to embrace her niece, but with a wave of her hand, Coraline disappeared in a whisper of purple smoke.

Upon hearing her daughters screams from upstairs, Joanna bounded up the stairs toward Wendy's cold, pale body.

"Stay away from our Aunt Wendy, you demon." Freya shouted, as she held her hands up, about to cast a spell.

Cora was about to retaliate when Joanna barged in and pushed Freya's hands down.

"No!" Joanna shouted. "She's not a demon, Freya. She's your cousin. She's just visiting her mother's body."

The defensive look on Cora's face disappeared as she saw her mother lay there. Dead.

"Oh, mother. How could you do that? For a mortal too."

Coraline looked at the people around the room.

"Now that Grandfather is dead, the curses he put on all of us are gone. So, if I'm going to bring her back, I have to do it before I learn to love again."

Cora stepped closer to her mother and held her hands over Wendy's face.

"Relegant mortem." Cora said.

The space between Cora's hands and Wendy's face started glowing. Wendy's body was warming up, she was looking a pinkish color instead of the previously grey she had been.

Then the space stopped glowing, the color left Wendy's body, and she grew cold again. Everyone around her stared at her body with sheer anticipation, waiting for SOMETHING to happen.

But nothing happened.