Chapter 4

Hey guys! This is just a filler chapter. Please let me know how you are liking the story so far though! xoxo

--------------------------------------------------------------

"Freya and I found a ton of books on mythological creatures and demons." Ingrid said to Coraline as she walked into the house.

Coraline looked up from her book briefly to acknowledge her cousin's presence.

Ingrid looked around the empty living room and exhaled loudly, disturbing Coraline once more.

"Was there something you needed?" Coraline asked.

Ingrid quickly sat next to her.

"What do we do now? We got the books. When are we going to read them? Where is my mother...and my aunt, come to think of it. Why are we just sitting here doing nothing?"

Coraline sighed.

"Ingrid, Joanna and Wendy are upstairs putting multiple protection spells on the house. I got in contact with my father, and from what he told me about his vision, we have nothing to worry about. I'm staying around for a few weeks to make sure that you aren't in any danger. I'm going to look through the books you found at the repository just in case. I'm sure we'll be fine."

After a few moments of silence, Coraline focused her attention back on her book."

Ingrid nodded.

"Coraline?"

"What?" Coraline breathed.

"What is Asgard like?"

Coraline smiled softly at the mention of her home.

"Asgard is exactly what you want it to be like. Everyone sees our world differently, Ingrid."

Ingrid looked down at her hands.

"I opened a portal to Asgard once." She admitted. "I should have gone home. I wish I would have gone through the portal."

Coraline put her book down and took Ingrid's hand's.

"You belong here with your family, Ingrid. There is no other place you need to be."

"We all belong in Asgard."

"There's nothing left for us there." Wendy said softly.

"Aunt Wendy, what about Sebastian? Don't you want to see him again?"

"No." She replied coldly. "My daughter is here now, I have no reason to return to Asgard."

Coraline stood up quickly and faced her mother, eyeing her aggressively.

"I will return to Asgard." Coraline said strongly.

"You absolutely will NOT!" Wendy hissed. "It is not safe there, not for you. You are a princess, Coraline. You have the KINGS blood inside you! They will kill you."

"Be that as it may, that is my home, and I will return to it!"

An angry voice met the ears of the three girls.

"You will do as your mother says, Coraline. That is the end of this discussion, I will hear no more talk of returning to Asgard."

Wendy turned and nodded a thank you to Joanna.

"Why should I listen to either one of you?" Coraline spat.

Wendy eyed her daughter.

"I am your mother, and you will do as I say."

EXCUSE ME! I don't want my only child to die, THAT'S why.

Coraline scowled.

"Oh, now you care?" Coraline shouted. "vilis!"

Coraline disappeared in a cloud of purple smoke, leaving Wendy and Joanna at a loss for words.

"I can't believe your daughter just said that to you." Joanna told Wendy.

"What did she say?" Ingrid asked.

Joanna looked at her daughter and shook her head.

Freya entered the living room and glanced at her aunt.

"Uh, aunt Wendy? Cora just appeared upstairs...she's in your room. She sounds upset."

"I made her angry." Wendy stated.

"No, I mean, she's sad. She's crying."

Wendy turned and rushed up the stairs.

She pushed open her bedroom door and saw her daughter curled up in her bed, sobbing into a pillow. Instead of entering the room right away, she decided to lean against the door frame, only planning on entering if Coraline would speak to her.

Her daughter heard her come upstairs and push open the door.

"I've never done this before." Coraline said.

"Protecting your family is a lot to ask, especially at eighteen. You shouldn't have been put in this position. Your father never should have sent you under these circumstances."

Coraline shook her head.

"No. Mom, I've never cried before. I've never felt anything before, and now all I feel is anger and sorrow...and resentment. But you're right too. It isn't fair for me to have to protect my cousins, or my aunt. They aren't my responsibility."

Wendy pushed off the door frame and made her way to the bed to gather her daughter in her arms. A moment passed before Wendy spoke.

"I'm not your responsibility either." Wendy whispered, before she pressed a kiss to her daughters temple. "You are mine. That's why I don't want you to go back to Asgard, Cora. I want to protect you and I can't do that in Asgard. You and I are both targets."

Cora shuttered.

"Baby, if you don't want to stay here, then go. No one will be angry with you, but please, please do not go back to Asgard."

"I can't leave you here." Cora said through tears.

"And I can't leave them."

"I had to grow up without you."

"I know, baby. I know."

Coraline shook her head.

"No, you don't. The king made me his protector because I couldn't feel. It was easier for me to kill people for him. He had no remorse, and I had no control."

Wendy looked at her daughter sadly.

"I have always known who you are. Grandfather would tell me about you. I carried your picture with me everywhere; I still do."

"I thought about you everyday, Cora."

Cora smiled, and just as quickly as it appeared it faded away again.

"I'm sorry for what I said to you downstairs, mom."

Wendy shrugged.

"It's been awhile since someone has said that to me, although, I do believe it was aunt Joanna who said it last."

"vilis, Wendy! Fuck you!" Wendy recalled. "Then I didn't see her for another hundred years."

Cora laughed.

"Can you promise me something, mom?"

"Anything."

"Promise me that you won't let anyone tear us apart again. No matter what."

Wendy smiled and kissed her daughter one more time.

"Promise."