Chapter 3

Chapter 3

The rest of lunch was completely awkward. Spencer wasn’t sure what to say and Derek and JJ were definitely anxious to ask questions but were unsure whether they should or not. As we were all cleaning up, Sebastian doing his part and mine, I decided to speak up.

“It wasn’t really much, you guys. It was just something personal. Don’t worry about it.” Derek and JJ turned to me. Derek turned and looked at Reid and JJ.

“Can I talk to Violet alone?” He asked, standing his ground. I looked down at Sebastian who was attempting to get back up on the bed.

“Sebastian, can you go back out into the hallway with Spencer and JJ?” JJ held out her hand and smiled at my son.

“I’ll get you a cookie.” Sebastian got excited and ran over to her, taking her hand. Reid wasn’t so willing to leave. He hovered in the doorway, staring at me like I would ask him to stay. I waved him out and a sigh escaped his lips.

His eyes widened as if he hadn’t meant to sigh so loudly or even at all. He spun around and shut the door, nearly running down the hallway.

After a second, I turned and looked at Derek. I watched him walk over to the chair and pull it next to the bed. He sat down and took my hand in both of his. His hands were large and warm. I didn’t want to seem rude, so I didn’t move.

“If there is anything wrong, you know you can talk to me.” There wasn’t as much as a hint of a question as Derek spoke. I could only nod to him. I didn’t really know what to say to him. I mean, I know that he’s just doing his job but still.

“I’m sorry. Can you guys just leave? I need to be alone with my son right now.” I looked at Derek then through to door at everyone else.

Spencer was crouched down, saying something to Sebastian. Sebastian had the cookie that JJ got for him in his hand. He smiled at Spencer then broke the cookie in half and handed it to him. Spencer started to laugh and I couldn’t help but to smile.

It was an adorable scene, no matter how you looked at it. I could tell just by this that Spencer was good with kids.

“He spends a lot of time with JJ’s son.” Derek said, noticing that I was watching him. I nodded to him again but didn’t take my eyes off the scene outside my hospital room.

“Can you send him back in here?” I felt bad. I shouldn’t have yelled at Spencer like that. I need to apologize before he leaves. I can’t leave things like this. I can’t lose him again.

“Yeah. Hold on.” I glanced over at Derek as he walked over to the door and opened it. “Hey, Reid. She wants to talk to you.” He walked out the door and it shut. Spencer stood up, the half of the cookie still in his hand. He glance at me as Derek told him something. He nodded and crouched back down, looking at Sebastian. He said something to him and ruffled his hair then stood back up, walking into the room.

He walked over to the bed and stood next to it. I watched as the door shut. Derek sat down and started to play with Sebastian. I could tell that Sebastian was having a blast.

“He likes you. That’s unusual. He usually doesn’t leave me aside to go with his nanny.” I smiled slightly, it not reaching my eyes. My smile dropped and I looked at Spencer. “I’m really sorry about earlier.”

“No, I should be the one apologizing. I went too far. I should not have looked into your past. I should have just called.” Spencer seemed to be acted different than usual. Well, at least from when I knew him.

“You’ve changed, Spencer.” This got him to look at me for a second. Then his eyes returned to the ground.

“Yeah. A lot has happened…” It seemed as if he was going to explain but the door suddenly opened. Derek came in with Sebastian in his arms. His eyes looked to Spencer, who was now looking at him.