Sanity At Stake

The box unfolded something that the eyes should never be able to see. A remarkable flash of light shoots up into the air and starts to circle the magnificent moonlit lake. This all seemed like a dream to me so I tried pinching my arms a few times, hoping to wake up and laugh about this. Sadly I only left red marks on my arm and could feel the shot of pain each time. After a minute, or two, the beam stopped dead in the center of the lake. Looking closer I could see that the beam was actually an orb and it floated just above the lake unknowingly taunting the rules of gravity. Looking around me I could not find any source of machinery that could be apart of this - well I hope - prank. But there was nothing, just my luck. Until..

"Hush little darling,

Please don't cry.

The love I hold for you,

Shall keep you safe tonight."

The soft sound simmers through the air. Catching my thoughts, one by one, and throwing them away. All my worries were soon washed away but the thought that haunted me was why and how do I know this tune? I started to listen closer.

"the love I hold for you,

Shall keep you safe tonight.

The stars will shine,

And the moon will glow.

You should know that I love you so."

I do know this! How could I forget? It sounds like the lullaby my mother used to sing before she died, I remember this because my Auntie always sung it to me when I was sad. But how is the orb singing the song? I try to pluck up the courage to ask 'it' but... I cowarded out. It might not even be able to speak.

"This was the only way I could communicate with you" It simmers suddenly - great 'it' can hear my thoughts by the looks of it - and carries on. "I am here to warn you of a danger that has come to light recently..." How ironic the light orb wants to talk to me about something that has recently come to light, uncanny I must say. I hear a small chuckle, guess she heard that part to - in the midst of her rambling - "..... And theres Meredith, a woman with the power of great destruction is thought to have released dark shadows into your world. I am here to let you know that you will have to be ready for them, if this information is true, also I have prepared the legendary guardians to help you out on you're...."

"Hold on! Am I meant to believe this?" To question her might not have been a good idea however my sanity was on the line here along with a slowly occuring phobia of opening boxes starting to occur.

'Yes.' The woman quickly lost her simmery voice - she sounded like my Aunt on a bad day. 'Louisa you are a very special person who is needed to save many lives. I expect you to be able to carry out what i'm asking because it's you destiny.' she sighed, there was a sadness in her voice. I wanted to  ask but I dared not to speak. 'Do you think you will be able to help?' Finally! She asks a question. But It wasn't an easy one to answer because the minute I spoke my voice just fumbled.

"I- uhh.. I think so." I wrapped my hands around the box in my hands tightly and played with the detail on the box. I knew I was a gullible person. However there was something in her voice, it was sadness or maybe it was yearning? I wasn't sure exactly but I should atleast agree to what she wishes. The poor woman was stuck inside an orb right now and I don't think she needed a rejection from me. 

"I'm glad." I hear a chime and then the orb of light was gone. I waited, half expecting a massive group of people to come out from behind the trees and start laughing. But nothing happened. This was real, what just happened was real. I think I would have fainted, if the big brute hadn't showed up.