Chapter One: Thisbe Jones

My eyes scanned the sky, vision blurring and some sort of liquid traveling down my forehead. I didn't remember how I had gotten there, on the ground with screaming surrounding me, the awful blood curdling sounds sending chills through my entire body. That didn't change the fact that I couldn't move. Every bone, every muscle felt sore, too heavy to lift. I was weak, too weak to even move my fingers.

My heart was pounding and I was finding it too difficult to breathe, as if something was sitting on my wind pipe, making everything seem hazy. I could've sworn I saw someone running around, blood covering their entire body and the bone sticking out of their arm.

My eyes, I imagined the same graying blue as always, slowly rose to the skies again. I smiled to myself, laughing a bit. I had never noticed the clouds before, how fluffy and cottony they looked. I just wanted to collapse and fall asleep in them. I felt strangely happy, way too happy for someone unable to move. The trees were dancing in the wind and I could hear their songs in my head. With each speed of wind the song would change. I was grinning like mad by the time a face appeared over me.

"Ma'am, are you okay?" The woman, a middle aged lady with graying hair who still looked absolutely stunning, life filling her mossy green eyes, was giving me a deeply concerned look and I opened my mouth to speak but no words came out. Only silence. "We were in a wreck. The plane crashed, but a few of us, we're doctors. Surgeons. We're going to help you."

But I barely heard her words songs playing in my head again, the trees singing their songs and dancing their dance.

"Am I asleep, am I awake or somewhere in between? I can't believe that you are here and lying next to me. Or did I dream that we were perfectly entwined? Like branches on a tree or twigs caught on a vine." My eyes were drooping; slowly the woman, now accompanied by a younger man, began to fade out. I felt her shaking me slightly.

"You're going to have to stay awake. We can't risk you dying." She gave me a sympathetic smile. I tried to smile back, but couldn't, a sharp pain shooting through my abdomen. I grimaced in pain, attempting to lift my head, but I was held back by the younger doctor who I grinned at.

"You're cute." My words were hoarse and slurred. He smiled, a sad look in his eyes.

"Do you understand what's going on?"

"Yes! We're traveling to Narnia!" I giggled, only causing more pain.

"Ma'am, you were in a plane wreck, leaving America. The plane's engine failed and now you're in critical conditioning." My thoughts flooded me, memories of the past day flooding back to me. The last thing I remembered was the sudden jolt, feeling as if the plane was dropping out of the sky and then suddenly all was dark until I woke up. I had been heading to England, where my father now lived with his twenty-four year old receptionist wife AKA my new stepmother. I had dreaded it for weeks since the end of my Junior year. I didn't want anything to do with the bimbo who caused my parents' divorce.

Monica Jones was just an annoying sleazebag young enough to be my sister.

It wasn't any better that my own mother was dating again, me coming home on a nightly bases to her flirting with a new guy each time. It was actually rather sickening. To see her happy was great, but I always felt that pang of sadness, missing seeing it with my dad, and a touch of nausea at the realization that she was forty-two, still dating. Gross.

On the plane, I was realizing how sick of it I was. I even told my self I wouldn't mind if the plane just dropped out of the sky. And suddenly , it did. It was overwhelming, realizing how easily I would've been the one that caused it. Even with just one thought.

"Can you tell me your name?" The woman was holding something on my stomach although what, I couldn't be sure. I nodded, wincing at the pain again. My haziness was wearing off, slowly and surely. I now noticed how loud it was, the screaming that had been faint now seeming to be right in my ear.

"T-Thisbe. Thisbe Jones." My voice cracked a bit at first, but soon it was stronger than I would expect considering the circumstances.

"How old are you, Thisbe?" I stared at her, wondering why she was asking such personal questions.

"Seventeen on the fifteenth of June." The woman nodded, hands applying a continuous pressure to my stomach.

"And what year is it?"

"2013."

I raised an eyebrow. "So tell me about yourself, Thisbe."

"Um, I don't know... I just passed my Junior year... I love hunting and archery. I play sports. Mostly soccer, softball and track. My favorite sport of all would have to be soccer. I support Derby County... I'm afraid. Of what's going to happen to me..." My words trailed off as I heard wind rushing, like wings beating at the air. Suddenly a helicopter was over head, close to the tops of the trees. I could see a big red cross painted on the side. Slowly, it lowered to the ground and men were hopping off, helping the people around me onto their own stretchers.

My eyes were still trained on the skies, where another helicopter was seen. This one had News Channel 3 painted on the side and I grimaced. Paparazzi? It slowly landed, a safe distance from the first and I watched as a man holding a camera hopped off, followed by a woman in a dressy top and skirt. Her hair billowed around her head as she held the microphone and began walking away, managing to fix her hair before the camera man counted down from five. At two, she smiled warmly before announcing the news. I couldn't hear her though so I let my eyes wander to the new man, who helped the two from before lift me onto the white stretcher.

As soon as we were on the big, metal bird my eyes fluttered closed and I was fading out into another long dark sleep.