Chapter 19

It's been a week since Ashton's been back and my dad still doesn't know about him. I don't know why but I felt uneasy telling my dad that my dead best friend that's in Sydney is actually alive and is right here. Ashton was almost like a son to my dad because Ashton has no dad himself. It was just him, his mom, and his little brother Harry.

Me and Ashton have seemed to fall back into place with our friendship but I keep feeling like I need to apologize to him.

It was all your fault.

That voice has also come back.

After Ashton left my life crumbled to nothing but when I finally got that voice to go away I seemed to rebuild myself.

"So," I start. "Are you going to come to my baseball game tomorrow. It's us against the diamond backs."

"Wouldn't miss it." He says with a hint of an Australian accent that he obviously picked up.

...

Ashton insists on driving me but my dads coming so we are going to have a very interesting conversation at the game.

When I arrive I see my dad parking a couple spaces away so I wave and then run to the dug out. I really don't want to be part of that conversation. I drop of my stuff on the bench and look at the game schedule. I play pitcher the first two innings, then first base for the 3rd, and finally I play catcher. I may be the only girl in the team but I'm respected.

I'm also the second one up to bat in the line up.

Yes.

I run out onto the field and start warming up. I look into the bleachers and I see Katie sitting next to Ashton and my dad sitting on the opposite side of him.

Crap.

My teams guest so we are up to bat first. Diego is before me and makes it onto first. Next up is me.

I step up to home plate with my bat and give the pitcher a stink eye. He looks frazzled and that was my goal. First pitch comes and I hit it I start running down the base line until the umpire calls foul. I go back and pick up my bat. I stand at the plate again and I frazzle the pitcher again.

This time the ball comes and I hit it hard. It goes over the fence and I do a nice jog around the bases. When I get back to home my team mates give me high fives.

"Of course. Leave it to the girl to hit it out of the park." Says a team mate down the bench. I think he's new.

"Thanks?" I respond.

"Wasn't a compliment." He states. "Girls should be on the bench right now in booty shorts and Pom poms cheering go us right now."

"You did not just say that to me." I growl. A bunch of other team mates make ooohs and others that know me better start to hold me back. I get a grip on my baseball bat and try to break through the three guys holding me back.

"Dude." Travis says with a worried look towards the new kid. "Run."