October 1st: The First Note

Dear best friend,
I love you. You made me smile today. It was a real smile too. Thank you. Remember that you are a star in my dark sky. Without you I would be lost and in the dark. I love you. <3
Love,
Claire( your bff)

I opened my locker and that note fell out. It was the first of many but I didn't know that that day. I smiled as I read it. She smiled. I haven't seen her smile in forever. The bad part about it though is that I didn't even notice her smile. What a terrible friend I am huh? Buzz buzz. I pull my phone out of my back pocket and read the message.

See you at The Spot during lunch. <3

Claire and I would meet under the willow tree when one of us needed to talk or had some news. It was something we had started last year, our freshman year.

Ok. See you then. <3

I replied and closed my locker. I headed towards my next class. I walked in and sat down. I was listening to my favorite song of the day, Ghost Town by Adam Lambert. Claire always talked about how she hated riding to school with me because I have a different song blaring each morning. I can't help it.

An hour and a half later I rush to the cafeteria and grab some chicken nuggets and a water and rush outside to the willow tree. Claire isn't out here yet so I decide to go ahead and eat. About five minutes later I she her walk over to me. My chicken nuggets are gone and I'm slowly sipping my water.

"Hey Sky, " I hear Claire whisper as she sits beside me.

"Hey Claire. What's wrong?" I say but don't look at her because by the tone of her voice something is wrong.

"Um. Did you get my note?"

"Yeah! And thank you that really made my day." I say in return. I know that wasn't what she wanted to say, but I played along.

"No problem. I wanted to make someone's day better," she says with a hint of smile in her voice, "no one deserves to go down this road." That... What was that? She mumbled it under her breath and I couldn't understand her, but after it processed in my brain all the words made sense. I understood it perfectly, yet I didn't do anything about it. That was my next mistake. I could've saved my best friend but instead I ignored that. You'd think I would've learned my lesson after reading her note about her smiling and me missing it. Well I guess you are wrong. Cause that's the opposite of what happened.