Chapter 4: Working With A Friend

At the end of the double shift, I headed to the main office to check out of work. I bumped into another of my co-workers, who had asked if I could take over their shift for the evening. I, of course, complied, because I didn't have anything to do. All my TV shows are on Netflix, and my hedgehog has all the food and water she needs. Besides, they didn't have very long of their shift left anyway.

I only worked about another hour, helping the elderly search for books, and attempting to calm down the children. I thought I saw Lizzie briefly, but it was just a slip of blonde hair through the shelves. As I sorted through more books further down the shelf, I peeked through the thin paperbacks again. She met my gaze this time, and I stared back, her blue eyes thinner because she was (presumably) smiling at me. I smiled back, and continued with the task at hand.

When I went through the last of the books in the shelf, I found myself at the end, and a few feet across from me, so was Lizzie. She smiled once again, and quietly giggled. I put the leftover books still in my hand on the cart, and grabbed it to push down another aisle. She got hold of the opposite handle. When I realized she had to go elsewhere too, I picked the books up again and proceeded to the aisle where most of them went.

I started searching for MUM-MUP, as I had to put back quite a hefty bit of Robert Munsch books. As the pile thinned down, just before I put the last one on the shelf, I put the pile of books down and thumbed through one of the books.

Ah, memories. It took me back to childhood where I still had friends. But I realize now that they were still trying to get away from me. Why can't people at least try to make me feel included or wanted in some small form?

I sighed, closing the book. I didn't want to give it up, because back then, I thought that I had a lot of friends. I reluctantly put the book on the shelf, and picked up the pile I had left on the floor. I was sorting through the remaining books, so I wasn't looking where I was going. Because of this, I had bumped into Lizzie. I quickly looked up and apologized, reaching down to grab the books she had dropped. My own books were fine, as I tend to have an iron grip with books. It's almost like a reflex.

I smiled sheepishly up at her, and then met her eyes again at her level when I stood up. I handed her the books, and I looked at my watch. My shift was almost over. I rushed to the other aisles, put the books back, and headed straight for the break room, where some of my stuff still was. I grabbed my bag off the back of the chair I had last sat in, and my coat from the rack. I felt my pockets to make sure I still had my phone. I did, as well as my card from the first attempt to sign out. I went down to the office (again), and signed out for real this time.