Melody's Daughter

Amy looked out her window and saw the crowd forming across the street.

"Another party?" Amy flopped on her bed. She hated these parties; they were stupid, loud, and very stupid.

“Amy? Are you coming to dinner?”

“No mum, I am going to Beth‘s tonight.” Amy walked downstairs and put on her hoodie, “I‘ll see you tomorrow.” Amy left before her mom could spit a word out.

“Hey Princess! Where you off to? Going to find your mummy and daddy?” One of the boys across the street hollered. Amy ignored him; she knew they were only trying to get a rise out of her. She didn’t care anymore, it was obvious she was adopted; she had auburn curly hair and was whiter than a blizzard in the middle of winter while her mother had pin straight hair and was, well,  Hispanic. There was never a father in the picture, but they did fine on their own, they lived in a good neighborhood, with a house that had six too many rooms. She hated being there though; it was filled with awkward silence or bickering.

Amy walked down the street to the park; it was filled with artificial lights and a tint of the moon. She smirked as she realized how oblivious-and quite naïve- her mother really was. Amy didn’t have a friend named Beth, she didn’t really have too many friends to begin with; apparently Amy was too weird, and sparatic. But her friends consisted of people to admired her wit, brains, and quirkiness. She sat on the swing set and looked at her feet wondering who her real parents were, if they were rich or poor, together or separated, she knew one have them must have been devilishly handsome.

“Hey Lenny!” Amy looked back to see her classmate Jeremy. “Cold out don’t you think?”

“I think it‘s fine. What are you doing out here anyway?”

 “Just thought I‘d go out for a walk, then I saw you.”

“Sounds like stalking to me.” Jeremy laughed and sat next to Amy. Jeremy was one of the popular kids, why he hung out with Amy no one knows for sure, but she never thought anything of it. She just enjoyed rambling on to him out nonsense. Amy turned around suddenly. She saw someone out of the corner of her eye, but by the time Amy turned around no one was there.

“What is it?”

“N-Nothing, I just thought I heard something.” Amy looked back at Jeremy, “Want to go terrorize the village?”

“I thought you would never ask.” Jeremy gave his signature smile; the smile that would make most girls’ heart melt, while Amy would just smile back. Jeremy didn’t know what it was about Amy, he just knew she was different, and he liked that.