Two

LizardKit hadn't patched up with HobbleKit after a week. LizardKit still curled up in the freezing corner alone. She hadn't eaten since then. She jumped at the sound of her growling stomach and FeatherStar's call.

"Let all cats that are old enough to eat prey gather beneath MossStone!" She called from upon the highest point in camp with the exception of a few trees. Cats started gathering from every direction. LizardKit stumbled into the clearing. HobbleKit had beaten her to it. He shot her an angry glance.

LizardKit focused on the clan gathering. She sighed when FeatherStar continued,"HobbleKit, it is time you learned the ways of the warrior code. From this day until you earn your warrior title, you will be known as HobblePaw. MockingTail will be your mentor." HobblePaw stepped forward to his mentor. MockingTail gave him an approving lick to his forehead.

LizardKit was about to return to her secluded corner when she heard her name. "LizardKit, please step forward," FeatherStar was looking at her expectantly. LizardKit's heart raced as she dashed embarrassingly over to the edge of MossStone. "You, too, need to learn about the warrior code and train to be a warrior."

"F-" FeatherStar couldn't even start her sentence before being interrupted. She lashed her tail.

"She should not become an apprentice!" It was StoneFeather. Of course. "She is pointless and will not help the clan!" The words stung LizardKit's heart more than anything. HobblePaw gazed at his father and nodded in agreement.

FeatherStar seemed taken aback by the the Dad's disapproval of becoming an apprentice. LizardKit felt the salty water forming in her eyes as her father continued,"She will take up our resources and probably even share it with other clans!"

Yowls of betrayal rang through the air. LizardKt backed up until she reached FeatherStar's silky coat. She turned and cried into the HawkClan leader's pelt. FeatherStar growled at the crowd of felines. "Have you no sense? Cats only do something wrong if they were trained wrong or didn't know! I'm sure you made mistakes as an apprentice, StoneFeather," she glared at the grey tom.

HobblePaw narrowed his eyes. "But, she wants to hog all of the attention. She  is a waste of time," he mewed coldly.

LizardKit climbed down and confronted her brother with her tail straight up. Warm water droplets were still crawling down her fur. "You are one to talk!" She yelled between sobs. "Y-you don't even have four paws!"

HobblePaw stood up. "My tongue is intact at least!" He hissed. The friction between the two siblings grew.

"You should just give up and be a medicine cat!" She cried. "You will be too lousy to catch even the slowest mouse!" The static consumed LizardKit.

"That is enough!" FeatherStar stopped the escaping words of hate. "LizardKit, maybe you should wait to be an apprentice." LizardKit's whole word seemed to fall out beneath her. HobblePaw gave a satisfied smirk.

~several hours later~

LizardKit was curled in her favorite corner. It was even colder now that FlowerFang had left her for the warriors' den. Her whole face was soaked with tears. She almost looked like a drowned kitten that had been pulled out of raging Rapids.

Every time she closed her eyes, her family's words jabbed into her blood pumping organ. She laid there awake and listened to the whines and complaints of her stomach.