Chasing dreams

Jason's pov

I hug my best friend Miranda goodbye as I head to Nashville. She's the one reason I don't want to go. My hidden love for her threatens to keep my rooted right here. She of course doesn't know I love her and I can't tell her. I wave to Chuck, her boyfriend. "Take care of her for me." I whisper, driving away. Before I'm even out of town, she texts me.

M: I miss you already.

J: I'll come back to visit. You'll be the first person I come see.

M: ugh, this is gonna suck.

I sigh, glancing in the rear view mirror and at my little town disappearing in the distance.

Miranda's pov

This stinks. I know it's his dream and all but I hate that he isn't here. I miss him. My childhood best friend. I got through all of middle and high school because I had him by my side. Chuck walks outside. "Still bummed about Jason leaving?" He asks. I nod. "Friendships like you two last even over several states away." I could never tell him or Jason that I wish it was more than just friendship.

*the next day*

Jason's pov

I wake up to my phone blinking indicating missed call or text. I sit up and stretch. Oh man, sleeping in a truck sure leaves a crick in your neck. Miranda texted me.

M: you didn't text me when you made it in.

I try not to laugh and text her back.

J: cause I haven't made it yet silly. I pulled to the side and slept for the night.

M: oh. Promise to tell me when you finally get there.

J: of course I will.

M: okay Jay. Bffl?

J: fl.

I wish we were more than just best friends but that's how it is. I stop at a huddle house for breakfast. "Want some coffee cowboy?" The waitress asks. "Yeah I've still got a lot of miles to go." I respond. She pours the coffee while I look over the menu. "Where ya headed?" "Nashville. Gonna try to become a singer." "Oh cool, I'll be lookin' for ya on the awards shows." She says. I smile. "Thanks." I order. As I'm waiting for my food, my phone buzzes. I set the menu down and pull it out of my pocket.

M: ha ha. Guess what just came on.

J: what?

M: breakfast club.

Damn. That's our movie. We would watch it all the time.

J: I can't believe I'm missing it. "Screws fall out all the time."

M: lol "we are the breakfast club."

J: best movie ever made.

My food comes so I put my phone away. The waitress sits at the bar. I ask if she wants to join me. A few seconds later, she's sitting across from me. "So what's your name? I need to know to look for your CDs later." She says. It makes me so glad to hear her say this. "Jason Aldean, ma'am. It makes me feel so good to hear you say that. What's your name?" "Claire. I love music. It's my favorite thing in the world." Me and her have a lot in common. I'd love it if she could come with me. "You're the one of the very few people who believe in me." "Oh come on they're must be someone back home!" "Yeah there's one girl. My best friend." She smiles. "By the look in your eyes, she's more than just a friend." I laugh. "I wish. She doesn't feel the same way. Hey ya want to come with me to Music City. I could use the company." Her eyes instantly light up. "I would love to. This is so cool." I smile as she tells her boss. Wow, I haven't even made it to Nashville but I've already found a girl. Hopefully she'll help me get over my girl crush.