Touch and go

Miranda's pov

I shove Luke and Eric off me. I run over, tripping on a patch of ice and landing on my knees beside him. "Jason, please oh please wake up!" I whimper, my hands on his cheeks. "Somebody call a damn ambulance!" I yell. Eric pulls out his phone. Brantley walks away to his truck. I turn my attention back to Jason. His eyes still closed. His breathing ragged. "Jason." I whimper, my tears feeling like fire against my icy cold skin. He grits his teeth and opens hi eyes. "Baby, what are
you-" I cut him off with a kiss. His hand rests against my cheek, his back still against the cold ground. The ambulance arrives. "Please be okay." I gasp. He forces a smile as they put him on the stretcher. He gasps in pain. I bite my lip in fear. "I'll try to be baby." He chokes out, gritting his teeth. I get in with him, holding his hand. The EMT cuts his shirt off and goes to work on his chest. He sucks in a breath and curses because it's hurting. "Oh my God! Stop!" He screams. I burst into tears. "Give him some morphine." The EMT says. Another one fills a syringe. "Sir you've got to stay awake. You've lost a lot of blood." The first guy working on his chest says. The other guy gives him the morphine. His hand clenches the sheet tightly. He opens his eyes again, staring at the ceiling. He's not moving or fighting anymore. "What's-" I start. "Shit! He's going into cardiac arrest!" The guy yells. I'm terrified. They grab a defibrillator. "Clear!" He shouts then puts the paddles to his chest. His body jolts but he doesn't start breathing again. "Please save him!" I scream horrified. He does it again and he starts breathing again but is no longer conscious. I breathe a relieved sigh. "Jason, can you hear me?" The EMT says. No reply. He looks like he's in so much pain because even unconscious his hand grips the sheet, sweat on his forehead his teeth grit and his body convulsing every few seconds. We get to the hospital and they get him to surgery.

*later*

They say he might need a heart transplant. I'm so scared. I sit by his bedside with Andrew in my lap. "Daddy?" He whimpers. Sobs rack my body in waves. Luke takes Andrew and Eric pulls me into a hug where I cry on his shoulder. Jason's been put in a medically induced coma.

*later*

I sit by his bed, my hand in his, I brush his hair out of his face. I clear my throat. I could sing to him. "Don't waste your time, lookin' over your shoulder. Those loves from the past ain't gettin' no closer. When I look in my future you're all I can see, so honey don't go lovin' on nobody but me." I whisper sing, my voice trembling. "Nobody but me gonna love you like you ought to be loved on. Nobody but me gonna cry if you up and leave. You can do what you want to but I'm beggin' pretty please, honey, don't go lovin' on nobody but me." I kiss his forehead, my chest tightening. His doctor walks in. "He's recovering rather well. He should be awake within the hour." He says. Tears fill my eyes. Thank God! I'm gonna go get Andrew.

Jason's pov

I wake up, my vision blurry and my whole body hurting. A doctor stands beside me. I slowly and painfully sit up. My chest killing me. "Where's my girlfriend?" I choke out, wincing. "Don't you know where you got your new heart?" He asks. My eyes go wide. "No! You're kidding! She didn't!" I cry. He laughs. "Nah, I'm kidding. She went home to get your son." He says. I glare at him furious. How dare he joke like that. "Am I gonna be okay?" He nods.

Miranda's pov

I shakily walk back in his room. He's awake! Andrew runs to the bed. "Daddy!" H cries, hugging him. Tears fall down my cheeks like a waterfall. "Careful little man, daddy's still very sore." He says. "Oh Jason." I choke out sobs racking my body as I stumble to the bed and hug him too. "I thought I lost you." I whimper. "Cowboys don't quit baby." He says, looking me right in the eyes. Andrew sits in his lap. "Don't worry baby I'm not goin' nowhere." He whispers, kissing me.