a Friendly visit

Jason's pov

*a couple months later*

Me and Claire have gone steady and I've been playing in bars and clubs to get a record deal. "Those low lifes just haven't recognized good talent when they see it." She says. I love how she's always encouraging me and saying I can do it. "Thanks babe." Just then my phone rings. I answer. "Hey Jay, I'm uh downtown and completely lost." I sit up quickly. "What are you doing here?" "I came for a surprise visit and now I have no idea where I am." "You silly silly girl. Ok, um what place are you in front of?" "Oh let's see, some place called the opry." I can hear the smile in her voice. "You're not even lost are you?" She laughs. "No, now get your butt down here!" I laugh and tell her I'll meet her in a few minutes. "Hey baby, a friend of mine is in town. I'm gonna go meet up with her for a bit." "Ok, I'll see ya later than." I kiss her goodbye and drive down to the opry.

Miranda's pov

When I see his truck pull up, I put my shades back on, covering up my black eye. He steps out with that age old cowboy hat. I smile and hug him. "Oh I missed you so much!" I gasp. "I missed you too. How's back home?" "Boring without you. I've been sitting at home doing nothing. How's Nashville?" "Bigger than I thought darlin'. If you ain't careful, this place'll swallow you alive." He says, ruffling my hair. I hold onto my shades so they don't fall off.

Jason's pov

This is odd. She never wears shades. So why all of a sudden is she wearing them now? I shrug it off and we go back to my place so she can meet Claire. I text Claire about it and when we pull up, she's waiting outside. I smile and walk over. "Hey sweetheart, this is Miranda my friend from back home that also believed in me." They shake hands then she pulls me by my collar inside. "What's going on?" "You said you had a crush on her!" "Whoa, hun, keep your voice down. I did have a crush on her but not anymore. You helped me get over my little crush." "You promise you don't still like her?" "Of course not!" "Ok, I believe you." Thank goodness. I thought I lost her for a second. A few minutes later, me and Miranda are hanging out in the kitchen when I ask about the shades. "Just felt like being different today." "That don't sound like you. We're inside, you can take them off now." She clamps her hand around them, furthering my suspicions. "No I'm fine." I decide to let it go for now but I'll figure it out later.

*later that night*

"I think she's lying to me." "Girls like to keep secrets." Not this girl. She's never kept anything from me. I sigh and drop all conversation of it. I don't want Claire to think I still like her. I mean I do. But I don't want her to know.

*the next day*

She's still asleep and still wearing those sunglasses. I'm getting to the bottom of this. I take them off And back up shocked. She's got a black eye!! Who's been hitting her?! Why would she hide this from me?! I'd kick their butts. Whoever it is. I'll wait til she wakes up then I'll talk to her about it. I return the shades and Claire goes to get groceries. I pace the floor waiting for her to wake up. I decide to take a shower while I wait and when I get out she is awake. Good. "Hey Jay, where's Claire?" "Never mind that. What happened that gave you a black eye?" "How'd you know?" "I'm not dumb. I know something happened!" She sighs and takes the glasses off. "It's nothing really." "If it's nothing you wouldn't have had to hide it from me." "I was just making dinner and I slipped and fell that's all. I knew you'd overreact and that's why I hid it from you." "And you're telling me the truth? No one hit you?" "No." I don't know why but something tells me she's lying. I act like I believe her but in truth I'll figure it out. "Do you wanna watch breakfast club while you're in town?" I ask, changing the subject. "Yeah that'd be great." I put it in. The same old badass Bender walks onscreen. "That was so you in high school." She says, poking me in the side. I roll my eyes. "Now you know I'm the jock. And you're the princess." I tease. "What?! I am not the princess!" She cries, laughing. "Yeah you're more of the basket case." "I'd rather be a basket case then a damn princess any day." She says, crossing her arms. I laugh. "And I'd rather be Mr. Johnny badass but you know I'm not." "Yeah you are. Just don't be such a goody two shoes all the time." I roll my eyes. "It's in my nature to be a gentleman." "And it's in my nature to tease you about it." Same old silly girl. "Whatever princess." I joke. She shoots a jokey glare my way. "Call me princess one more time Jason I dare you." I smirk. "You princess." Her eyes light up. Uh oh. She punches my shoulder. "Ha you even punch like a princess!" She glares at me with devil eyes. "Yeah you're right. You could never be a badass." She says, smirking. "I think I could." "Nope, you don't have the guts." She's right about that. I don't have the guts. I didn't have the guts to tell her I love her. I still don't.

Miranda's pov

He turns his attention back to the TV so I do too. We're at the part where the princess and the rebel kid or as Jason calls him a badass are kissing. I glance at Jason, wishing that was us. "Hey Jay, I don't mind being the princess if you don't mind being the badass." I hint. He looks over with his thinking face. "Are you messin' with me again?" He asks. I sigh and nod.

Jason's pov

I try to hide my shock. She's not messing with me! I try to keep my attention on the TV but the love I have for her never went away. I sit up. "I know I can fill the role of a badass but I need my princess." She looks over at me wide eyed. "You're serious!" I nod and grip her chin and kiss her.