Six

" ... Short Hispanic girl said what now? " Her jaw dropped in a half surprised, half laughing way.

I laughed too. " Yeah. "
" How? "
" Like three weeks ago on the Sunday before he started teaching us, I met him at the park. We hung out a bit, and then we started this official thing... "
" Was it love at first sight!?! It sounds like it! "

I covered my face in embarrassment. " Yeah... Yeah, it was... "

She nodded her head and lightly punched my shoulder. " Awwww yiiiisssss. "

We walked back to her house. Her mom, Celia, was cool. My mom's cool too, but she wouldn't let me do things like skydiving and bungee jumping.

" RUBY! " She came to hug me.
" Hey, Cel. " I hugged back. She was like a second mother to me, as my mom was to Lilly.

" Mom, can you do us a huge favor? "
" Depends... " She put down her cook book. " How crazy is it? "

Me and Lilly looked at each other. " 10, " we said in unison.

" Ruby has a secret boyfriend that her mom can not know about... So while they're on a date, and at his place.. Do you think we can pretend that she's staying over here? "

" Ah, young love! What's the guy like? Older? "
My eyes did their signature, " widen when surprised " act. I nodded.

Celia leaned against the counter. " Teacher? "

I put my hands on the counter. " Woah, woah, woah! How'd you figure that out? "

Celia stood up straight. " Same thing happened with me. Her father, " She slightly nodded at Lily, " had been a professor at my art school. I had to sneak around too, to avoid getting my scholarship taken away and him getting fired. "

" Oh. "
" Right... Dad was your teacher.. "

Adam Knight, Lilly's father, died after a car crash two years ago. Me and my mom stayed with them that entire weekend.

Celia perked back up. " So, of course I'll help you out there. "

I smiled. " Thanks, Celia. "

---------------------------------------------

I sat on Leon's couch, pulling my cardigan closer to me. It was mid-October, so of course it was cold.

He plopped down next to me, with a serious look in his face. " Ruby. " I looked up at him. " Yes? "
He sighed. " We... We have to stop this. "

My heart stopped. My hands trembled. My eyes watered.

I slowly stood up.

" .... Why? "
" The other day, a teacher saw you in my car. I assured him that it wasn't you that was with me, that it was just another Hispanic woman that coincidentally looked like you. You do look quite different when you're in school and when you're socializing, so it was quite easy. "

I stood up, grabbed my backpack, and walked to the door without saying one word.

This bastard had broken my fucking heart.