Then - Two years ago

When you start a new school they tell you there isn't anything to be worried about, that everything will be fine and you'll make friends and fit in. But what they forget to mention is the bone-crippling fear that hits you when you don't seem to be making those friends, or when you're not understanding the work that has been set before you. You end up fearing your new school and everything that goes with it. You fear the first day when no one knows your name but no one is trying. You fear the cool kids with the privileged attitude that will allow them to pretend to be your friend then get bored of you after a while and toss you aside like you're last week's news.

"Max, honey, in order to start school you need to actually get out of the car." I looked at my mum with a smile.

"I know, I'm just debating whether or not it's actually worth it, I mean third new school in as many years, it's a new record." My mum rolled her eyes, pinched the bridge of her nose and sighed. She opened her mouth to tell me off but I had already gotten out of the car and ran towards the gates.

Walking into the school grounds I was enveloped in the many noises of teenagers. People were running around hugging each other, laughing with their friends and complaining because it was January and the summer holidays were over and school was back in. I looked down at my phone and cringed, five minutes until the first bell of the new school year. I started walking towards what looked like the school office when my phone buzzed alerting me to a new text message, opening it I saw that it was from my best friend from home, Leslie. Leslie and I had been friends since kindergarten and at the end of last year, we told each other that no matter what happened we would keep in touch.

I opened the text message and laughed, she had sent me a picture of her getting dressed in her school uniform. Her skirt was pulled halfway up her chest, her tie tied around her head and she was wearing her blouse unbuttoned. The picture was captioned, 'probably how I'm going to school today without you here.' I laughed at her antics, she had admitted to me on more than one occasion that she wouldn't be able to dress if her life depended on it and frequently relied on someone else. As I sent her a message back I managed to crash into someone and send us both to the ground.

"Shit, I'm so sorry, sorry I'm sorry" I scrambled to help the other person pick up their stuff, but my constant apologising was only making a bigger mess.

"Don't worry about it! I'll live, it's not like this little incident is going to ruin my whole year." The girl in front of me laughed, not at me but at the situation. I smiled weakly at her, and, handing her the books I stood up and dusted off my uniform. Sticking her hand out she introduced herself

"I'm Matilda." The girl smiled at me. Taking her hand I smiled,

"My name is Max,"

"Well it was very nice to meet you Max, but I probably should go, I don't want to be late to the first day of school," Matilda smiles and waved before walking off into the building. I walked in after her and tried to find the school office to sign in properly.

********

English, English isn't that hard, right? That's what I asked myself as I walked around the school finding my first-period class. I had been the top of my class at my last school and I was hoping that that would carry over to this one. The bell rang for class to start and I swore, definitely starting off on a positive note. Running I found the building and ran in ten minutes late making the teacher stop what he was saying and look at me.

"Well, it seems that someone didn't get the memo about the usual start time of 8:30, care to take a seat, Miss..."

"Carmichael, Maxine Carmicheal."

"Well Miss Carmicheal, please take that seat next to my friend Mr Jonathan Thompson and we can continue" the person in question raised his hand slightly in greeting and I gave him a small smile in return. Sliding into the seat next to him in the back row I turned and smiled again before taking out my belongings.