Emilia

EMILIA

"So if Hernandez Fermenting Company drops 25% of its middle management workers, which makes up 50% of the employees, it will severely harm the city of Champaign, it being the only company with management jobs available. That being said people who lost their jobs will need to find new jobs. If the company drops 5,000+ employees from middle management, how will the population of Champaign decrease? Keep in mind its population is 83,435."
I looked around the classroom and say no one raising their hands. I dozed off in the middle of the question, so I hardly remember what was dropping who. I saw a hand pop up from the back of the lecture hall.
"Yes Mr.Kelly."
I groaned scooting down in my seat. I don't remember a question "Mr. Kelly" hasn't answered in any demography class I've been in.
He glared at me and returned his focus to Professor Clarkson.
"Well, you said middle management was 50% the company. They dropped 25%. With 10,000 in management, 5,000 would be dropped decreasing the population by 5,000 but including families...."
He continued, but I drowned out his voice. I enjoyed demography, it's what I wanted to pursue, but he made this class almost intolerable.
I don't even know why he's annoying to me.
"Correct. Your homework will be pages 110-112 numbers 1-40. They are all over what we reviewed today in class. Okay? Okay. You're dismissed."
Immediately, the class began shoving papers, books, and maps back into their backpacks. It was the Friday before Christmas, and everyone was heading home tonight. No one was allowed on campus over winter break.

For me, going home was my favorite part so far. College for me was in North-East Indiana, 5 1/2 hours away from home in Illinois. My only friend on campus was Sherrie, a biology major, but also my roommate. She had others friends on campus though, because she was a sophomore, not to mention her boyfriend who took up most of her life. My closet childhood friend was Brandi, who was attending college at Purdue about an hour away from Taylor University.
She was my lifeline.
I almost ran out of the lecture hall ready to drive to Lafayette to pick up Brandi and drive to Peoria, Illinois.
She had called me and told me Isaac was coming back, my friend from high school who joined the army after senior year. I hadn't seen him since junior year because I was a grade behind him.

He also saved my life.