4. Just Keep Running

I couldn't understand it because when I opened my eyes, I was surrounded by sandstone piled up forming mountains. It was a beautiful sight, just how the light reflected off of it. There were no vehicles in sight, not exactly a tourism place. But a group of people did catch my sight, they looked more like researchers than anything. It was probably an archaeological sight. Quite amazing to me actually.

I calmly walked over to the group and tried to blend in. Luckily no one noticed me. The group began to walk into a cave found right in the middle of the mountain.

The archaeologists kept moving further and further into the cave, looking at alien languages and drawings, that didn't necessarily intrigue me, I just kept looking behind myself, like a paranoid child. It was starting to get to me.

That was when I first saw the shadow of a hunched woman and two taller, beefier men. Her bodyguards, henchmen maybe? ( They looked like O'Hares two henchmen from the Lorax) I never did get that answered. When I say 'her' I'm referring to the woman walking behind them. Her fingernails were impossibly long, stature short and crooked. She looked like one of the priest ladies from 10,000 BC (movie).

I moved closer to my group and tried to hide better, but I knew it wouldn't work, not in the slightest way.

Once we ventured far enough, we hit a dead end. The archaeologists were about to go examine certain places of the cave, when they finally saw the strange henchman and woman.

"We will kill you all unless you give us what we desire. " She spoke in a raspy voice that echoed through the tunnel like a plague.

"What do you desire?" Asked one of the archaeologists, I remember he was a man but no other details come to mind.

"We desire the one who does not walk with you."

The archaeologist looked around the group until he spotted me. "Her?"

"Yes her."

"Why would you need her?"

"This is none of your concern. I just want her or I will watch you all perish at my feet and take her by force."

I could see the decision in those mans eyes. He was willingly going to give me up. I was nothing to any of them.

The adrenaline began to build up in my body. My hand slipped inside my jacket pocket and took out a laser screwdriver, which I didn't even know existed, shot the wall and ran out while everyone was distracted.

I expected the cliff like barren landscape to be outside the tunnel, just what I left when I entered, but instead I found myself roaming an unknown city with few buildings on street corners. It all looked strangely black and white, but that didn't bother me because I knew I had to keep running. I could still see the shadow of the henchmen. My pace quickened as I ran further but I began to tire, not in very good shape.

That was when a thought struck me. If I let them take me, then I would know what they would desire of me. I would know what made me special in all of this. So I literally stopped running and just waited until the henchmen caught up. They restrained me by the arms as they led me back to the barren cliff landscape. The rift in space was still in tact and we made it through.

Instead of leading me back into the tunnel, they led me onto a ship that was being suspended in the air by a hot air balloon (like in Three Musketeers). Then they left. It was strange, it was almost as though they'd forgotten me.

The sound of cannons alarmed me. The ship shook in the air and I fell to the floor, not being able to keep my balance in the slightest way. When I did get back up, an entire crew was on deck, at their positions fighting the enemy. I noticed that the enemy was the long finger nailed lady. Was this a game to her? Did she want me dead? Dead in the most amusing way.