Chapter Two: Would You Like to Breathe?

"Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go but rather learning to start over." - Nicole Sobon

Chapter Two: Bro, Gossip Girl is the Bomb

After my encounter with BB Gun and Sir Douchebag, I decided to explore the rest of the mansion of he house. I mean, if I was gonna live in this thing for however long, I didn't need to get lost. I first started with the play room, then went to the trophy room, - which, for only two kids, they sure had more than I could fit in some of my old closets - and stopped into the family room, there I spotted Brennan again. I put on a light smile, watching him play with an army of Transformers on the cream carpeted floor.

"Hey, buddy." I said, sitting down right beside him. He looked at me and gave me a cute little smile and continued to play with a green and red one, crashing them together ocasionally.

" Lani-Bear! You can be the blue one," he said to me without looking up, and I looked around until I saw the one he was talking about. I nodded, picking it up in my fingers.

"Ah, Optimus," I said, playing with his little arms.

"He's the leader of them," Brennan informed me, like it was the most obvious thing. I tilted my head in confusion, looking at him with interest.

"It doesn't show anything. How can you tell, may I ask?" I asked him, looking at him. He took a break from playing Fast & Furious and looked at me, pratically raising an eyebrow. He held his hand out so I could give it to him, and I gently put it in his palm. Brennan stood it up around the other ones and he looked back at me.

He sighed and pointed to Optimus first. "The leader has to takes care of everybody else before him." He then pointed to every other Transformer in the group. " Leaders stand in the front and don't leave anybody behind, no matter how hard the fight is. Like he says in the movies, 'Until a day, we all fight as one'. Optimus is all of that," he explained to me calmly while I stood baffled. Brennan had just defined a leader better than most adults. Hell, better than I would've in my lifetime.

He added into my thinking, "Plus, he's blue. Everyone knows the leader is blue." He ran a hand through his hair and looked at me. God, this kid would be a little heart-breaker when he grew up. "Can you get me some water, Lani-Bear?" He asked me with those big green orbs.

I couldn't say no to that little face. I rubbed his head and stood up from the carpeted floor. "Of course I will, BB Gun. Be right back," I said, walking out of the family room and making my way to the kitchen. I was humming the tune to "Skinny Love" and I started to look into rooms. "And I told you to be patient, and I told you to be fine, and I told you balanced, and I told you to be ki-.." I stopped my humming when I saw a picutre of a very familiar face with a younger, hotter Chase in high school hanging on the wall of what must've been his office.

I couldn't help but to go inside. Well, the door was opened and there was no sign of anyone anywhere. You couldn't tell me that you wouldn't because I know you would. Anyways, I walked inside and closer to the picture to infer who it was in the picture. He had the same dirty blonde hair that I was so used to seeing, and the same dark brown eyes that I have. With freckles dotted around his nose, I couldn't even imagine being anyone else. It was my -

"Dad?" I said, scoffing at the sight of him in high school. Him and Chase had their arms wrapped around each other, dirt caked all over their soccer shirts as they held a soccer ball and a trophy in their arms. It had been 11 years since I had seen my father's head of hair. I gently touched the image of my father's face with my fingertips, scared that if I didn't touch it, he'd go away as quickly as I saw him.

"Yep, that's me and your father," the voice startled me from behind, and I turned around to find Chase standing in the doorway, smiling. I stammered, shaking my brown waves out of my face to look at him. "Oh, I-I'm sorry. I was just- um - ," I stuttered, fixing my beanie.