Chapter 4

Daryl drove back down the empty road. The headlights barely cut through the dark fog. He strained to see, looking for his bike. He finally spotted it and pulled the car over. Daryl parked on the side of the road, shutting off the car. Beth was asleep with her head resting on his shoulder.

"Beth," Daryl said quietly.

"Hmm?" Beth groaned.

"We're switchin rides," Daryl said getting out. He got out, grabbing a flashlight, and went around to the back. Daryl got Beth's stuff out, putting it in his bikes saddlebags. He then went to Beth's door and got her out. Daryl placed her close to the handlebars, getting on behind her.

"Why am I in front?" Beth said.

"So you don't blackout and fall off," Daryl said as he started the bike. He remembered his walkie-talkie was in the bag; Daryl reached back and grabbed it. He turned it on, clicked the talk button twice, waiting.

Rick stood watch atop one of their cars with a rifle in hand. He scanned the road for any sign of Daryl. Nothing. He was worried. There came two clicks of static from the walkie-talkie strapped to his hip. Rick quickly grabbed it and pressed the talk button.

"Daryl?" he said.

"Rick," came Daryl's voice, "Beth's alive."

"What? Daryl are you okay?" Rick said.

"Yeah, she's alive, Rick."

"Daryl, where are you?"

"On our way."

Daryl clipped the walkie-talkie to his belt and began to drive. Beth sat in front of him with her arms crossed, hands under her arms to protect from the cold. Daryl sped up, ignoring the icy wind biting at his lips, eyes, nose, and cheeks. Beth ducked as much as she felt she could while still being safe. They rode for what felt like hours.

"Stop," a commanding voice shouted as a light suddenly hit them. Daryl stopped suddenly, almost losing control of the bike. Beth grabbed the handlebars in fear, bracing herself from being thrown. As the bike stopped, Daryl wrapped an arm around Beth's waist while getting his crossbow shouldered with the other.

"We just want through!" Daryl called up towards the figure on the car. He aimed at the man while ready himself to dive off the bike with Beth. Beth bit her lip while she tried to see the figure on top of the car.

"Drop the weapon," the figure called. The voice sounded familiar to Beth. Really familiar. It had been a few weeks since she had heard it, but she was sure of who it was.

"Rick?!" Beth called.

"Who is that?" Rick called.

"Us," Beth said, "Beth and Daryl."

"Beth?" Rick lowered his gun as the car beside his moved back, giving Daryl enough room to drive through. "You're alive?"