Lend Me Pandora

PROLOGUE

‘The odds are against us it’s inevitable.’

Beautiful sunlight fell through the stained glass windows, sending prisms on the white stretch of long floor. The castle walls were white and sparkling. The double doors were closed and all sounds from the outside were muffled. The sound of swaying trees rushed like a whisper between the small gaps.

In the great, wide Hall rows of pillars stood supporting the majestic, painted ceiling, guarding a marble isle that led to a throne step. Two chairs stood in the middle of it. One was adorned with golden vines and littered lines along the back and arm rests. The other one was smaller for a bit but shone in silver lustre. On these two chairs sat the King and Queen of the palace, their heads showing their crowns. In front of them knelt a man with an aggravated face looking up at them.

‘They will be invading…’ the Queen whispered, her lips moving so little.

The King stayed silent. A giant, golden bird has entered the Hall and began circling the ceiling.  

‘It will be a very large army.’ The kneeling man said lowly. ‘We will instigate a call for the clan leaders, King Edevor, Queen Ygraine.’

‘Call the ones who are necessary.’ Edevor said calmly, not taking his eyes away from the bird. ‘Mazarin- Randmia- Winter and Salafor- and some of the captains from the Defense General.’

‘Call Lord Tardell and his wife from the Castle Walls would you, Lord Chale.’ Ygraine said standing up. ‘You did well.’

Lord Chale smiled wearily and nodded at his Queen before departing. ‘Yes, Your Highness.’

Ygraine smiled back at him. Lord Chale turned around and walked swiftly out of the Hall. His footsteps echoed towards the high ceiling. The King sat on the throne, frowning wearily at the floor. He wore thick red tunic, lined with gold threads. He clasped the end of His armrests and turned his bright hazel eyes towards the woman beside him.

She was beautiful. She walked in eased grace towards him, her gray flowing gown brushing the scrubbed floors quietly. She knelt beside him, her cheeks on the armrest, looking at her King with her soft melted gray eyes.

‘Share it.’ She told him softly, reaching for his hands. ‘Edevor.’

He held her tightly, breathing heavily. He just held her hands saying nothing, as the walls of the Hall learned silence.

‘The Oracles are right.’ Edevor finally spoke. ‘I should have listened to them. You were right too, Ygraine. I’m sorry.’

Ygraine frowned. ‘You know very well that we were both there- the night they warned us about a siege.’

‘You told me to listen to them. And I didn’t.’ Edevor looked up at the ceiling. ‘Now an army we don’t even know is marching towards us.’

‘We’re not that helpless.’ The Queen smiled. ‘We still have a few people whom we can trust to defend our dimension.’

 Just then, the golden long feathered giant bird entered the Hall, flapping its majestic wings that made the clean floor swirl with a bit of dust.

‘Oh Heldart...’ Ygraine said sadly at the bird which has perched atop her throne. ‘We’re making war…’

Heldart cocked his head to the side and hopped on the King’s throne.

‘You must rest Ygraine.’ Edevor said kindly to his wife. ‘I will take care of the meetings. Reserve your strength and take care of the children.’  

Ygraine cast her husband a brave look before standing up and walking out of the Hall. The corridors of the palace are lighted with beautiful sunlight. The lawn below showed a wide stretch of grass land and far woods. Laughter tinkled here and there.