Chapter Three

Sometimes I wonder why certain things were ever made. Like money. We were fine with trading things, before money. I'm saying this because Chris was wailing all night about not getting the truck.
   And because someone stole my moms wallet.
   If there was no such thing as money, stuff like this would never happen.
   "Mom, can't you cancel your credit card?"
   "No sweetie." She said." The password I used has been changed. I can't do anything."
   "MOMMY I WANT THE TRUCK!" Chris screamed from his room.
   We were in the living room, on the couch finishing dinner. I rolled my eyes and kept talking.
   "Aren't you going to call the pol-AAAHHH!" I screamed, I pointed to a huge spider. I hate spiders. I don't know why.
   "Lola! Calm down! It's a bug!" Mom said." And Chris finally stopped! Your brother just fell asleep! Don't-"
   "MOMMY! I WANT THE TRUCK!" Chris is yelled. Mom let out an exasperated sigh.
"Well I better take care of your brother," she said." I nodded. I turned on the TV and watched Disney Channel for a hour until I got bored.
I went into the bathroom, brushed my teeth and got into my pajamas and headed to my bedroom but stopped when I heard my mom say.
"I can't! At Chris's age, he needs his mom!" On her phone. Then heard the guy on the end of the line said.
"Ma'am would you like your kids to be with you and on the streets?" He said roughly." Or in an orphanage where they have a bed?" I almost gasped.
MOM WAS THINKING ABOUT GIVING US TO AN ORPHANAGE?! I couldn't believe what I just heard. Mom was going to give us to an orphanage? There was only one thing to do. Sit in my room and cry. That's what I did for a while, until I realized that crying wouldn't help me. I tip toed/stomp to Chris's room and yelled.
"Look what you did!" I screeched." We're never going to go home!" He woke up immediately, bleary eyed and confused.
"What?" He mumbled.
Why am I mad at him? I thought. He didn't do anything.
"What?" He asked again, more alive like. I shook my head and smiled.
"Nothing, Chris. Nothing." He nodded and went back to sleep. I sighed and went back to bed.
I slept like a dead girl. I wished I could sleep forever and forget about what happened last night. But I had to get up and avoid Chris's questions about me screaming at him in the middle of the night. I finally convinced him that it was just a dream. Once that was over it, and I thought I could have a quiet, peaceful morning he started yelling.
   "MOMMY I WANT THE TRUCK! MOMMY I WANT THE TRUCK! MOMMY I WANT THE TRUCK!" He did this repeatedly. And didn't take a break from it, until mom offered him ice cream to stop.
   It stopped. For about ten minutes. He finished his ice cream and started yelling again. I could see why mom wanted to maybe give us to an orphanage. I hadn't talked to her all morning. And glared at her when she tried to talk to me. I didn't want to yell at her. That would make Chris even more upset, making him cry even more about the truck. I sighed and asked myself what in this crazy world was I going to do.