Topic #5: Solutions

This is a fairly simple topic. A solution is a resolution to the book -- it can be stretched out upon an entire series, there can be multiple solutions in one book (but not too many), and, most importantly, it must be reasonable and realistic (for the most part).
There are exceptions to that last one, it mostly depends on the genre, the topic of the story itself, ect, ect.

It's nice to have a satisfying conclusion to a story. Having the main problem of the book solved is a reassuring part of the whole point of a story; it leaves the reader complete when they know that the issue has been resolved. But, then there comes a time when the conclusion isn't so very clean, and it breaks off in an interesting way.

These are called Cliffhangers, which we'll delve deeper into at a later time.

Solutions need to be realistic to a point. For example, you can't solve world hunger by exploding the planet. Sure, it'll take it away, but it'll cause a whole 'nother mess of problems. Or, on a smaller scale, a girl with a fear of performing or speaking in front of a crowd won't simply curl up underneath her bed and die there; first off, there's no story, and second, it's not good enough of a solution to her problem. What if she dared herself (or was dared by someone else), to do something completely out of her comfort zone, like doing a little skit with friends in front of their class? Or she found herself dancing a little in public without realizing it? Baby steps could help in making the solution to the conflict.

Solutions can be simple, they can be complex. They can be long, or they can be short. It can be sudden, or it could ease itself into the attention of the audience. It all depends on your story.

That's all I have to say for this topic. If you have a topic that I haven't talked about yet, Comment and/or PM me!

Next topic: Cliffhanger Clichés

Stay Positive, and keep writing!

-Jasmine