Chapter 14

The next morning, Anne is woken up by loud commotion in the living room. She gets out of bed, dressed in one of Ryuzaki's long sleeved shirts, and her comfy shorts. 

"Kyoko!" Matsuda greets her. "The second Kira responded to our video!" 

"Huh?" She says, rubbing her eyes. Matsuda then grabs her wrist and drags her towards the others, who are all clustered around Ryuzaki's laptop. Ryuzaki, of coarse, is sitting directly in front of it. 

The letters K I R A are printed along the screen. 

"Kira, thank you for your reply." A computerized voice says. Indeed, the second Kira did reply to their video. That was fast. 

"I will do everything you said. I want to meet you. I don't think you have the eyes, but don't worry, I won't try to kill you." 

The eyes...? 

Light looks generally suprised by this. Ryuzaki is still staring at the computer screen, confusion plastered on his face. 

"The eyes? What does that mean?" Aizawa asks, speaking to no one in particular. 

"Please think of a way to meet without getting caught by the police." The second Kira continues. "When we meet, we can confirm eachother's identities with our Shinigami." 

Shinigami.... Anne thinks. Do gods of death reallly exsist? 

Suddenly, Ryuzaki gasps, and falls backwards out of his chair, only to crawl away from the laptop that fell over onto the floor, his eyes wide. 

"Sh...Shinigami?" He stutters. "Am I supposed to believe that Shinigami actually exsist?" 

"Ryuzaki, listen to yourself!" Light says. "Of coarse Shinigami don't exsist." 

Ryuzaki turns his head around to face Light. "The messages Kira made his victims in prison write also suggested the exsistence of Shinigamis." 

"So, perhaps this tape is from the same Kira who killed those victims in jail?" Chief Yagami says. "Since they talk with the same-"

"That's not it dad." Light says. "If this were the old Kira, he wouldn't respond to our fake tape. He wouldn't be so foolish as to play this game and make it unnecessary for L to reveal himself on TV and get killed." 

Anne winces at his words. 

"Then maybe the real Kira and the second Kira have contacted eachother and are using things like "Shinigami" to confuse us?" Aizawa suggests. 

"That's unlikely." Ryuzaki says, standing up from his position on the floor. "If they had contacted eachother, Kira wouldn't have stopped the plan to kill me, as Light said. The second Kira is not trying to do what the real Kira would do, instead it's more like he is doing whatever he thinks needs to be done to reach his goal. He is not acting in pursuit of Kira's goal to change the world by punishing the criminals and those who get in his way. He is doing what he feels need to be done to meet the real Kira." 

"So then, the second Kira doesn't want to reform the world." Light says. "He is only interested in knowing who Kira is. Then maybe Shinigami is a code word for their common ability to kill. "We can confirm eachother's identities with our Shinigami" would mean that they can prove their identities by killing someone on the spot." 

"I agree." Ryuzaki says. "At the very least, it is certain that Shinigami is something the two Kiras have in common. It will help us a lot if we can find out more about it." 

"So, what do we do now? Reply?" Chief Yagami asks. "If we do it wrong, he will find out that we don't know anything and that we're not Kira." 

"No, we will leave it to the two Kiras to make the next move." Ryuzaki replies.