Alone Together

Patrick sat on the couch, not wanting to go anywhere or do anything. Andy and Joe refused to talk to each other and Pete was still depressed, throwing Patrick by himself as Elisa stayed with Declan at the hospital.

It had been 3 days since Declan was hospitalized, and Patrick hadn't eaten since and barely slept. Elisa had sent him home to calm down, but he had done nothing but sit around all day.

Patrick pulled out his phone and decided he would text Pete.

PS: 'Hey, you okay?'

It took Pete a few minutes to respond with:

PW: 'Yeah. Feeling a lot better. Hbu?'
PS: 'Well Declan's in the hospital'
PW: 'WHAT'
PS: 'yeah, he has epilepsy.'
PW: 'Trick I'm so sorry'
PS: 'I'm at home, Elisa is still with him.'
PW: 'You want me to come over?'
PS: 'Sure'
PW: 'I'll be there in 10'

Patrick locked his phone and set it down, rubbing his eyes. He sat there and looked up at the ceiling. 'Dear God, what's gonna happen next?' He thought. He sat there pondering on what else could go wrong, then Pete knocked on his door.

"Trick? It's me," Pete called on the other side of the door. Patrick stood up and opened the door, Pete hugging him tightly the second he could. Patrick hugged him back, feeling the tears swell in his eyes again.

"I'm really sorry about Declan." Pete said softly. Patrick's eyes closed and he sighed.

"I'm sorry about Saint." He said, barely audible. Pete just nodded, heading into Patrick's house and sitting down next to where Patrick was previously. Patrick sat back down and sighed.

"I don't know what else could possibly go wrong. I wish Andy and Joe weren't fighting so I could talk to them." Patrick thought out loud.

"Andy and Joe are fighting. Joe thinks we're not cut out to be parents and- well, with me, he's right." Patrick wandered. Pete nodded.

"It's true for me too. I didn't deserve to have Saint at all, so Death took him." Pete choked. Patrick shook his head.

"At least you never left your kids." Patrick sighed. Pete sat up and stared at him.

"I left my kids all the time, Trick. I still do. I left Bronx. Well- he was taken from me, but still. And I-.... I left Saint when he needed me most. He didn't make it through and it's my fault because I wasn't paying attention to that damn car-" Pete started to ramble on, Patrick shushing him before he got too worked up.

"It's not your fault, man." Patrick said, staring at the ceiling. Pete just nodded and lay his head on Patrick's shoulder.

Just then Patrick's phone buzzed and he shut his eyes, pulling it out of his pocket slowly.

No.

"Pete, go, now!" Patrick sprang up and out of the house.

"What- Trick!" Pete raced after him, hopping into Patrick's passenger side before they sped down the road.

"Patrick- what's going on?" Pete asked. Patrick just flicked his hair away and breathed.

"It was my brother," Patrick said. Something in Patrick's voice haunted Pete, sending shivers down his spine.

"And....?" Pete ventured. Patrick swallowed and shook his head.

"Megan has cancer," Patrick choked. Pete's eyes widened.

"Your sister!?" Pete gasped. Patrick nodded as he raced to the next town.

"Chicago traffic, I swear." Patrick said as he closed his eyes briefly. He opened them in time to see a deer run into the road. He slammed the brakes to see the deer turn around and run into an open field.

"What the fuck!?" Patrick gasped breathlessly. Pete stared after the deer that came out of nowhere. Deer didn't live in Chicago, let alone run around in streets and open fields. Something clicked in Pete's mind, and it scared him.

"Some creepy shit is going on, and I think it's trying to ruin your life, Patrick." Pete stated. Patrick stared at him, a horrified look on his face.

"I think you're right,"