Prologue

Okay, almost done. Whatever you do, don't fall Salina!

Salina had just finished carrying the last of her things to her dorm room. Since there were no elevators in the building and everything had to be lugged in by hand, she had broken into a small sweat. She put on a bit more deodorant and wiped the sweat from her brows. Salina was very excited for what the year would bring. She hugged her family one last time and went back inside of the building. She sat on her twin XL bed and thought about what her roommate would be like.

Hopefully she'll be nice like me.

Salina began to scroll down her timeline on Twitter and noticed a familiar face. They guy in one of the avis was staying right across the hall from her.

Oh great. I have a fine ass guy staying right across the hall from me.

Salina shook the thought from her mind and decided to venture around the campus. She put her old Vans back on and left her room.

The campus was so busy, considering it was move in day for many incoming freshmen. As Salina walked around, she could feel herself growing more anxious as she walked past several students.

He's cute.

She looks like a bitch.

I'm not going to fit in here.

Those were they thoughts Salina was having. She was preparing for the worst. She decided to go fetch a few extra things for her dorm room.

***

A few days passed and there was going to be a campus tour before classes. Salina decided that it would be a good to meet a few new people. She got ready and went to the community room where everyone was meeting up. To her surprise, there was already a crowd gathered around. She waved shyly as everyone's eyes followed her to her seat.

As Salina sat down, she examined her company. Beside her, was her roommate. Next to her roommate Jasmine were two other girls who seemed to have already known each other. Both girls had their hair styled in long braids that went past their small behinds. Across the room was the only guy of the group. He was very built and even though he was sitting, Salina could tell that he was probably a foot taller than her. He had on mirroring shades, but it was obvious as to where he was looking.

"So, what are your names? I'm Quincy." A voice spoke, breaking the awkward silence.

Salina looked up at the muscular caramel-colored figure that was staring back at her from across the room. His mirroring shades caused Salina to feel a bit self-conscious.

"I'm Natasha." The girl with braids that was a bit thinner spoke.

"I'm Vanessa," said the other girl who also had braids and a small frame.

Quincy looked over at Salina and her roommate.

"And you two are?" He asked, awaiting their answers.

"I'm Jasmine," Salina's roommate spoke.

"My name's Salina." Salina answered quietly.

"I'm sorry what did you say?" Natasha asked, leaning in.

"My name is Salina," Salina answered a bit louder.

"Like Selena the singer? That's cool!" Vanessa smiled.

Salina let out a small chuckle. This wasn't the first time someone mistook her name for the Mexican singer's. Her name was of African descent, however.

"So what are your majors?" Natasha asked.

Everyone discussed their majors and after a few minutes passed, they decided to go on the tour themselves since their guide still hadn't shown up. Salina sat back as everyone else talked about what they were looking forward to this year. It's not that she didn't want to say anything, she just wasn't comfortable yet.