Chapter four: Wild hunt

I almost forgot how big Quarté was, a land where I was born. If you're asking why it was named Quarté in the first place, it's because it was named by the founder of this huge region: Sir Aisle "Seven" McKenzie, the last Era's most popular adventurer up to this very day. During his life, he was ordinary, but today, he is a legend. The book has it that he traveled to the bottom of the earth just to find a fairy locked inside by an evil sorcerer named . . . uh . . . I think I forgot. The book was all dusty and chewed up.

For a month, he traveled and found this unknown island. As he gave himself a tour just to explore this region for many days, he figured that there were no harmful monsters but friendly enchanted creatures that didn't have a business to kill humans. And he found that every area's climate was different. Such as summer from the south, spring from the east, autumn from the west, and winter from the north (where I lived). You have no idea how big Quarté was, it was like a country, but it was only a part of Everlos' continent. It's a good thing that I slept well after all that thinking yesterday.

I dressed myself up in a warm olive jacket, dark brown pants that could protect my legs from the cold, furry boots to aid me through snowy paths, and camouflaged-hunting gloves, including my handkerchief- what? Can't I bring one? I opened my closet to reveal my hunting weapons: a firm wooden bow carved from smooth wood, a quiver stacked with perfectly sharp arrows along with trick arrows that I crafted. I put it around my right shoulder along with my bow. There are two more things that I need. I opened another small cabinet, revealing my sword inside my scabbard. And finally, last but not the least, my red dragon scarf. Mother made it for me when I was seven. Oh, the memories.

I almost forgot about it because I haven't worn it. Nine years ago during a strong storm, I was running while naked (I never told this to everyone, not even my family and friends. I'm only telling you this for information. I know it's embarrassing, but that's how dumb I was. Ahem, now, moving on). I wrapped it around my neck. The scarf still has a soft and warm texture. I had no idea about my mother's magic, but I loved it.

Now, I'm ready for hunting. I checked the clock near the window. It was six-fifteen. Wow, did I wake up this early? I rushed downstairs, went to the kitchen, and grabbed a piece of bread that Henrich bought. My sisters were still asleep except for her. Where the heck is she?

As I opened the door, Mailman was standing lazily in front of me, again. "Oh, hi Mailman!" I greeted, forming a frightful smile, though I couldn't do it correctly because I remembered our awkward moment. "Uuuh . . . for you." He handed me a circular package. I checked who was it for and it said: For Rosie, with a fancy font. "This is for my sister then. Okay, thanks, Mailman." I nodded. Then I thought out of curiosity, Who on earth hired this guy? And he was assigned to be a mailman here? But I gave him a grin. "Uuuuh . . . okay." He waved once and left. Despite that, I had to say that he seemed friendly.

The cold never bothered him, so I'm sure Mailman would be okay. My neighbors walking around the sidewalks and some were mounted on their carriage, probably going somewhere. I didn't have many friends here nor got close to other neighbors. Strange as it sounds, though I gave them a warm greeting as to be polite. I went to the entrance to march on into the forest. The weather was snowier than I thought. As I ran, I lifted my feet as I took every step. When you imagine that way, it's more like I'm stomping like a giant. I drew my arrow and went to the first area of the forest. Then I realized I forgot to make a hunting list, but it was too late to make one.

In time, I spotted a huge turkey. Perfect! I focused on the target as I stretched my arm and pulled the string along with the bow. Although, it was so far I had to aim higher. I couldn't go further because, in my way of hunting, I had to hide in the bushes or behind the trees (I learned those things from the book my father showed me: Pana). I watched the arrow dove toward the turkey, but it moved to eat another grass so I missed it. Fortunately, my arrows were well-designed for silent killing. Meaning the prey won't know what will hit them. Pretty cool, right?