Ready For Love

It was finally the last night that Roc and Princeton were staying at my house and boy was I happy. There was plenty of animosity between Princeton and Khalil and it honestly made me uncomfortable.

I was positive that Khalil had no clue why Princeton's feelings were hurt and I was definitely positive Princeton's feelings were hurt based off of the things he said when he was drunk. It was clear he still had feelings for me, but he obviously didn't know he put those feelings out there.

The whole week we went to parties, bonfires, the amusement park, the boardwalk, to the city, and many other places to get our minds off of the awkwardness in the household. Roc probably had five girls he was talking to by now and Princeton had a record of none.

Now, I was sitting outside with Princeton watching the sunset. We were having a heart to heart, kind of like old times. Roc was watching Mikey while Khalil got their stuff together so they could go home in a few minutes.

"Does he make you happy?" Princeton asked sipping some red bull.

"Very," I replied with a grin.

"He's perfect isn't he?" He inquired taking another sip. Fucking perfect, I thought imitating him.

"Not perfect but close to it," I answered with a shrug.

"Is he anything like I was?" He questioned turning to me.

"No," I stated. I wanted to say he was better, but I stopped myself.

"Then why aren't you with me?"

"You dumped ME, remember?"

"Yeah, but... You didn't even fight for me,"

"That's the boy's role. I don't fight for men. Especially you,"

"What's wrong with me?"

"I was the bad guy for six years, Princeton. Ring a bell?"

"That was the old me,"

"Well I don't want to meet the new one,"

"What do you want me to do, Imani? Who do you want me to be? Whoever that person is, I'll be it,"

I was silent. I could see the anger and frustration building up inside him based on the heaving of his chest and the way he combing his fingers through his Afro.

"TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT!" He exclaimed. I refused to answer him. "You want me to be Khalil? I can be Khalil. What's he like?"

"He's sweet, smart, goofy, a good dad, spontaneous--" I started.

"I'm all of that!" He shrieked.

"No you're not," I said shaking my head. He picked up the chair and chucked it angrily.

"I LOVE YOU! CAN'T YOU SEE THAT!!" He screeched getting in my face. I wasn't scared, I wasn't afraid, just really really pissed. He grabbed me by my forearms and before I knew it, I punched him in the face. He jumped back and held onto his nose with an expression full of disbelief and sadness.

"DON'T EVER IN YOUR LIFE PUT YOUR HANDS ON ME!!" I bellowed making a fist. He knew how I was about being man handled and he completely crossed that line. Khalil suddenly rushed outside frantically.

"What happened?" He asked running to my side.

"Princeton lost his damn mind that's what happened," I sneered looking down at my forearms. The imprint of his hands were stamped into my skin, the sight of it sent rage all through Khalil's body and before a knew it he ran up on Princeton.

"What did you do to my girl?" Khalil said grabbing Princeton by his collar.

"She punched ME!" Princeton yelled wiping blood from his nose.