Flashback Chapter 3: But I'm not in his

“Justin...” I could hear her sobbing through the phone. “I miss you. Please come home.” She begged.

Justin stared at the wall, not saying anything as he held his phone against his ear.

“I haven’t seen you in weeks, Justin.” She added. “And people I don’t even know tell me things that I don’t know if I should believe or not.” Her voice became softer. “I can’t go on like this anymore.”

Justin clutched his phone, but kept his eyes on one spot on the wall, unmoving. “Babe, please don’t do this.” He whispered, barely audible.

The girl on the other line was quiet for a while. “I’m sorry, Justin.”

The line went dead.

Justin hung his head. His shoulders drooped.

And then came the despair.

It hit me like a thousand bricks. I could feel every ounce of his pain.

He took a deep breath, bit his lip, and laid down on his bed. I laid down beside him. Then he looked at me.

Straight in the eyes.

But when I looked behind me, I knew he couldn’t see me. He saw right through me. Literally.

There was a picture on the wall directly behind me, a Polaroid picture of Justin and her. Justin reached out and for a second, just for a second, I thought he was going to stroke my cheek, but as always, his hand went through me, but even before he touched the picture, he pulled his hand back.

The sobs.

The whispers of her name.

I felt everything.

And every tear is like a knife through my heart.

I could see him... I could hear him, I could feel him.

It’s like he’s in my world...

But I’m not in his.

I reached out and hugged him, held him close to my chest, stroked his back.

Even though I know he can’t feel it. The most he can probably feel is goose bumps, but I do not know what to do to make him feel better.

Nothing, I guess.

And that’s the worst part.

I could protect him from anything, I could defend him, I could keep him safe.

But I can’t take his pain away.

I can’t do the one thing I most want to do right now.

Lord, take his pain away. Lord, take his pain away.

And that’s when I woke up. I was still in the hospital. And it was only a dream.

It was a memory. A memory I try so hard to forget.

A memory that haunts me.

I looked at my right, and I saw Justin on the couch, sleeping.

Not crying, not hurting.

And that’s when I knew, I didn’t regret it.

I don’t regret saving him.

I would do everything for him.

____________________

 A/N: Oh my gosh this is so short! But please understand because I just wanted you guys to be able to have a peek on their past and why Hayley is so protective of Justin.

Because I don't want you guys to be confused, I'll name the chapters as "Flashback Chapter _" if it's a flashback. This story would have a lot of flashbacks, so look out for that! :)

The next chapter is going to be long, I promise!

Please do point out any grammatical or spelling mistakes, thank you!

Let me know what you think! xx