Chapter 2 - The meeting

Roslyn Hughes stands in front of her mirror in her attic, behind the bookcase in her hidden room, she studies herself. She sighs loudly while wishing that she wasn't the third daughter.

"What's wrong sweetheart?"

She jumps and places her delicate hands over her heart with shock written across her face as she looks towards the doorway to find her beloved father standing there grinning at her.

"Nothing papa."

She didn't want to hurt his feelings, she knows it wasn't his fault that her life was like this, but sometimes she felt like it was unfair. Unfair to her that her brothers got to make friends and whenever they came over she would have to hide in her room with only her books to accompany her. Her father would bring her new books every week for her to read as she got bored in her room every single day, she had no one to talk to except for her diary, which she kept well hidden. She was pretty lonely, but she couldn't complain. She didn't want to hurt her family's feelings, they were all too dear for her.

"Well, wipe away that face of yours before it becomes permanently stuck there and I wouldn't want to look at my daughter again."

 her father chuckles trying to joke lightly taking the tension in the air and lighten the mood. Her father was the best father a daughter could ever ask for. He loved her dearly and she knew he did. Even if he was busy, he tried his best to provide all he could for his daughter. He bought her books, homeschooled her, and even gave her a computer. But sadly, the computer didn't have internet yet.

"Papa, is it always going to be like this forever?"

She sighs again and sits on her king size bed with a canopy draped around for a princess effect.

"Like what my precious?"

"Alone. No friends? I'm suffocating."

Michael knew his precious little princess was hurting. He was best friends with the king, but even had to hide this secret from him. It killed him every day to see his childhood friend and having to hide this secret.

"When you're eighteen sweetheart, you can explore everything."

"..But papa, it's 2 more years!"

His heart throbbed at how much pain it was, but it scared him to lose his daughter or having to have to send her to an orphanage.

"Well, how about I make you a deal? On Sundays, I will let you out of the house, BUT you have to use the secret passageway. You can only leave for 4 hours, but after that you have to come immediately right back. Or else you won't be able to come back out again. I will provide you with a cellphone, so you will call back to me every hour to check in. Okay?"

Upon hearing this Roslyn jumped with joy. She was able to finally get out! It wasn't much, but as long as she got to explore the places around her she was fine. It wasn't freedom, but it was a sample of it.

"Yes papa oh yes! I love you I love you I love you!"

Michael smiled a heart throbbing smile at his princess. He was happy he could make her smile, the only problem was talking to his wife about this. She was always paranoid. They did their best to make their princess become welcome at home. They had an indoor pool installed in, a rec room, and even a gym. Besides that, they built her a library which had thousands of books from which she read from since she learned how to read and speak. She was his princess, and he would do whatever he could to see her dazzling smile dance across her face.

With that he left, while his daughter stayed in her room, rushing over her computer to type in her diary.

___