Chapter Two

“Hey miss… Miss… Are you alright?” questioned a curious voice through the black haze that was covering Nira’s mind. Groaning, she reached a hand up and rubbed at her forehead as her grey eyes slowly cracked open and the bright light of the sun made her squint. Moving her hand to shield her eyes, she opened them completely once more before sitting up and looking over the person who woke her up.

“Where am I?” she mumbled, not recognizing any of the scenery around her or any of the scents that were coming into her nose. She most definitely didn’t recognize the young boy beside her. He had sandy brown hair that stuck out from the front of his head and light brown eyes. There was a black leather collar around his neck with a metal plate that appeared to have the number twenty three engraved into it. He was wearing a long sleeved black sweatshirt underneath a light orange hoody with short sleeves and light blue sweatpants with grey sneakers.

The boy smiled at her as he crouched down next to her, draping his arms over his knees. “Well, you’re on the edge of town right now. My name’s Hige. What’s yours?” he asked her. Nira frowned, wondering what town she was on the edge of although she got the feeling that this boy wouldn’t know that either. Scooting back from him a bit, she put her legs underneath her body and pushed off of the ground, reaching down and brushing the back of her black Capri pants off.

Hige looked up at her as she stood, his eyes drawn to the black hoop that was hooked through her bellybutton. He had never seen anything like it before so he was definitely intrigued by it. He’d also never seen a girl dressed the way that she was. Aside from her loose black capris that went to her knees, she had on a dark blue spaghetti strap belly shirt that stopped above her belly button. A black leather jacket was worn over it that ended below her breasts along with a pair of black sneakers, with the tongue hanging down slightly because her shoes weren’t tied. It appeared that she had just tucked the strings inside of them instead of bothering with it.

“My name’s Nira,” she stated, looking down at him in annoyance as he continued to stare at her. “While I don’t really care what you find so interesting about me, can I ask you what you are staring at?” she asked him in annoyance. Since Nira didn’t know this boy, which meant that the boy didn’t know her, she supposed that she would have to forgive him for the fact that he didn’t know that she hated annoying people and annoying things, which included people staring at her.

Hige blinked at her before standing as well and shaking his head. “Sorry. It’s just that you’re so different from everyone else that I know and see around here,” he stated to her.

“I wouldn’t argue with that,” she mumbled before turning and heading towards the town. Hige stared after her before running to catch up. “Hey, wait up a minute. Where are you going?” he asked her curiously and he caught up to her, putting his hands into the pockets of his sweatshirt.

“I’m going into town to look for my sister. We got split up and knowing her, instead of waiting around for me, she’s probably wandering around somewhere which means she will most likely get into trouble,” she stated, glancing over at Hige out of the corner of her eyes as she kept walking towards the town. If Kairi was in there, then there was really no way for Nira to know what she was getting in to, especially if she’d found someone that she tried to become friends with. To Nira, Kairi was too friendly to everybody around her and trusted too many people when she first met them.

“Oh, you have a sister?” Hige asked her curiously. It was obvious that Hige had either not seen a whole lot of other wolves before or he hadn’t seen a lot of females before. Either way, it was quickly beginning to annoy her. To Nira, it seemed as if he was just rambling on and on about stuff that she didn’t care about. She wanted to find Kairi and get out of here. Neither of them knew if the hunters had followed them into town or not, but if they had then they were just going to get chased once more.