All It Takes Is A Bit Of Courage

I walk onto the yellow school bus from my driveway--greeting the middle-aged driver as I do so. As I sit down in the brown seat next to my friend, Allie, I notice that she seems down. She's normally upbeat.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

She shrugs and doesn't answer. I sigh, pulling out my book. She's just having a bad day, I think. She'll be fine this afternoon.

Except she wasn't fine. Or the next day. Or the next day. For the next month, she became even more withdrawn. Seemed even more detached from the world. I'm pretty sure her grades went down--after all, in class she didn't ever pay attention, when the teacher called on her she continued to stare ahead blankly, like nothing existed. Over time she started to look malnourished. She didn't eat much, if she did at all.

I corner her in the hallway during RTI.

"What's wrong?! Can I help? You have a life to live," I say, my voice level gradually quieting.

She ignores me, staring blankly yet again.

"I want to help. You've got to tell someone," I whisper.

"I-I'm fine...I just...have a lot on my mind," her response comes, barely audible.

I can't believe I got her to speak.

"What?"

She walks away. I stare after her, and then go back into the classroom, pondering what I should do next. Should I let it go and respect her privacy? Bring her case to the guidance counselor, Mrs. Krin? Or should I wait a week to see if she improves? Hmph. Not likely. I'll wait anyway, but I am going to go to Mrs. Krin if she doesn't--no matter what. With that internal discussion settled, I go about my day.

A week later during science I am trying to persuade myself to wait another week. I'll be invading her privacy. She'll continue to get worse. She won't tell me what's wrong so I can help her! You don't need that information to know that she needs help! Fine. Do it. I warned you. Okay. Great. Now I have to convince my body to get up and walk. It feels like an eternity to get to my teacher.

"Mr. Simm, may I go see Mrs. Krin?" I ask a little nervously.

"Fill out a pass," he replies.

I do so and get his signature. I walk quickly down to Mrs. Krin's office--hoping to get this over with as soon as possible.

"Hello," I say nervously, brushing a lock of brown hair behind my ear.

"Hello Anne, what brings you here?" Mrs. Krin looks up at me with her hazel eyes and a smile on her face.

I close the door and take a seat across from her. I don't smile. She stops smiling.

"Allie. You know that upbeat girl with golden hair and stormy grey eyes?"

"Yes. But that doesn't sound like a cause for worry."

"Well, she's not upbeat anymore...she hasn't been for the past month. She's withdrawn and doesn't seem to know that the world exists at all. She looks malnourished and stares blankly into space...I managed to get her to talk a week ago, but it wasn't much. And I don't know what the problem is...."

"Have you tried asking?"

"Twice."

"Hmm. Thank you. I'll alert her parents and look into it."

I nod, and walk towards the door.

"Anne, I will do my very best to help your friend. I thank you for telling me this," she reassures me.

I nod, and walk out the door. When just outside of my classroom, I release a sigh. Allie will be better. I don't have to worry. I'll have my friend back. I walk into the classroom and Mr. Simm glances at me. I recycle my pass on the way to my seat.

Allie isn't at school for the next week, but when she does return, she is happier and healthier, but not quite herself yet. That will take time.

"Thanks," Allie tells me on the bus ride to school one day, "for everything."

"Well, I couldn't let you drown in misery."

She punches my arm and we both laugh.

"You're welcome. You know, I don't mean to pry, but what was the issue?"

"I'd prefer not to talk about it."

"Alright. It's good to have you back."