Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Tanner's POV

"If she coddles you just go alone with it. She is really friendly." Jim told me as we were continuing our way to his grandparents. "She likes people to like her I guess. Sometimes she goes a little overboard with the questions though." He said with a shrug. "I wont mind. She sounds nice." I added as he smiled. "She really is great. " Jim said as he pulled into a driveway of a yellow house. We stepped out of the car and headed towards the front door. The house was really tiny, but it suited the well groomed lawn. Jim knocked on the door and almost instantly it flung open and a pair of manicured hands grabbed Jim and squished him in the door. Jim grabbed my hand before he was inside and I was pulled along by the force of his grandmother. "Oh Jim, I missed you!" She said as she hugged him tight. "Oh! Who is this gorgeous gentleman you brought along Jim?" She asked. I blushed and looked down at my hand; the one that Jim was still clutching. He let go and shoved them into the pockets of his shorts. "Hi, uh, I'm Tanner. Jim's... Hm.. Friend." I said as I smiled at her. I would prefer to hold on to Jims hand, but that would imply that I want him. Which I dont. Because its totally normal to be attracted to him. "Oh what a handsome name! Im Kim and my husband Jacob is somewhere around here. Good thing I made extra food today. Are you joining us for lunch, Tanner?" I smiled and nodded. "If you dont mind." "Oh honey no. I dont mind at all. Jim just show him to the table if you could." Kim walked away as I followed Jim to a nice dinning room. I wouldnt mind living in a small, quaint house like this. It reminds me of home.... Well what a home should be. A slim man walked into the room carrying two hot plates of plain noodles. "Asian cuisine is my favorite you know." Jacob said as he placed the plates on the table. "Kim makes it fresh too." He walked away towards what I was assuming was the kitchen and started to discuss something with Kim. "Just, uh, pick a seat I guess." Jim said suddenly nervous as I sat on the left side of the table. He pushed a chair out and sat directly across from me. "You know, you didnt have to do this. I feel like im intruding on something here." I told jim as I looked around at all the family pictures. "Oh, please dont. Honestly this is an everyday thing. My grandmother loves meeting new people. Beware though, she will be asking how you like her cooking." I laughed and looked back at Jim to see he was serious. "Oh. Im sure its great." Kim walked in and sat down the asian chicken. "General Tso. My special recipe." She winked at Jacob who walked in next to her and they both sat down. "Dig in Tanner." She said as she poured me a glass of water. We ate and laughed for about thirty minutes. When we finished Kim asked me about my parents and about my dad's business. Kim was really friendly, but its weird to think she knows so much. "So Tanner, any girlfriends?" Jacob asked me. I choked a little. I dont know why but every time someone asks me that i think of Jim. "N-no. I haven't found the right girl yet." I told the three of them. I tried to avoid Jim's eye contact just incase I might say something stupid. "You know, thats what my one friend Casey said to me before he told me he liked another man." I froze. My eyes were wide and my face was boiling. Did she just imply that I ... Liked men? Did she notice the looks I gave Jim?! "I better go. Uh nice meeting you both." I said as I bolted up and practically ran out of that house. I walked out into the driveway as I heard the closed door open. Dammit. I forgot that Jim drove me. I looked around for a cab to stroll by. "Tanner, are you okay? She doesn't think before she says things sometimes." Jim said as he placed an arm on my shoulder. I jerked it away. "I'll find a cab. Take care, Jim." I said as I started to walk on the sidewalk. "Wh-what? Tanner! Hold up!" I kept on walking as I slowly quickened the pace. Jim jerked me around and held both of my arms down. "Tanner. I uh... Do you.... Do you still want to work out with me? I can arrange a schedule and we could meet like three times a week. If thats too much we could do two, or one, whatever you want." Jim frantically said. Was it just me or did he purposely change the subject by asking me on multiple.... Dates? I looked at him and he let my arms go. "I mean its fine if you dont want to, I dont blame you." He shrugged. "No, no. Dont say that. Uh, two times a week? Is that okay?" I said as I looked at him. "Yeah that would be awesome. Um, i'll text you the dates then." He laughed as he pulled out his phone. "Hold on dude, Im standing right here. What about Monday? Same time?" He looked confused but nodded his head. "Yeah sure thats fine." "Good." I said as I started to walk towards his car. "Give me a lift back to the gym?" I said as I pointed to his car. "Sure, sure let me say good-bye to my grandparents first." He walked back into the small house as I leaned against his car.

Jim's POV

"GRANDMA, GRANDPA, GOOD BYE!!!" I screamed as I entered the house. They were in the kitchen discussing something. "Honey are you giving that boy a ride home?" Grandma asked. "Yeah he's waiting outside, so i'll be going too." I hugged my grandpa and made my way over to my grandma. She hugged me tightly and whispered into my ear, "Jim, there is a connection with you and him that i cant pinpoint. I can tell that you both feel something for one another." I gulped and stepped back. "Okay, bye." I said as I scurried out the door. Why does she have to be so observant! I walked towards my car with my head spinning and my heart racing. "Lets go" I said as opened the door to my car and jumped inside. Tanner ran to the opposite side and opened the door. I looked at the house and saw my grandma looking out the window. So, this means that I'm not the only one with the unexplained feelings. I glanced at Tanner as he quickly turned his head. Man, she was right. he does seem to like me.