part four

I slept for less than two hours. Everyone passed out at two in the morning but I couldn't fall asleep. My mind was racing with thoughts. The same thoughts I've thought about all the time lately.

  It felt like this was the moment where my life changed for the better. I didn't understand why I was feeling that way but I could feel it all over my body. Flowing through my veins. I just laid here, remembering this moment. Trying to engrave it in my mind along with all my past memories. I felt like I was saying goodbye to this period in my life and I needed to hold onto my past.

  At the off chance I fell asleep, I would wake up fifteen minutes later in a cold sweat because of my dreams. They felt so realistic. They were always snippets of men on horses charging forward. They weren't going slow either. They were riding fast with purpose. All I could see was a vivid visual from far away as the horses galloped through all different locations. Through fields, towns, and forests. The dreams reminded me of men going into battle. I couldn't for the life of me pinpoint how many men there were but there had to be over forty. Their faces weren't visible either. It was as if my subconscious blocked out the image.

  Each time I would dream one of those dreams, it left me more anxious than ever. I felt unbearably impatient. That I needed to leave right now and be inside the forest. It was almost suffocating.

  I pushed out of the bed as quietly as I could and tip toed out of the room, careful not to wake the others. I couldn't lay there any longer. I needed to move and occupy myself.

  I was inside my garage, digging through all the boxes my parents had yet to put away. My father was big on camping and hiking so I knew we had all the gear I would need, which was handy. I found everything we would possibly need and more. I even found blow up mattresses so we didn't have to sleep on the hard ground.

  Letting out a huff, I wiped the layer of sweat off my forehead. I should probably go get some sleep again because I knew I was still buzzed from last night escapade but sleep was the last thing on my mind. I'd probably crash hard later but I was too excited to get on the road and make our journey to the forest.

  I headed towards the living room. It was only seven in the morning right now. I was tempted to go wake up the others but I knew they'd flip shit and bail out of going if I did. So all I could do was sit on the couch and wait like a good little boy for them to wake up. It was such a nail biter moment as I stared off ahead with my eyes closed while my heart thumped with anticipation.

***

  I felt someone pushing at my shoulder as they called my name. I groaned as I opened my eyes.

     My mom was leaning over me. "Aidyn, why are you sleeping out here? Go lay down on your bed."

  I fell asleep!? I shot up from the couch and ran a frantic hand through my hair. "What time is it!? Did everybody leave?"

  "It's eleven. Your friends just woke up. They're eating breakfast right now."

  I pushed past my mom and ran towards the kitchen, nearly tripping over the furniture in the process. You could hear the chatter of them talking the closer I got.

  "Let's go guys!" I said when they came into view.

  They all looked up from their plates. "Go where?" Max questioned with a frown. "I'm eating. I'm not going anywhere."

  My mom came walking in after. "You're leaving? Where are you guys going?"

  "Uh, we're going camping. I already got everything almost ready." I said.