Chapter One

IF I KNEW what I know now. I would have never crossed path with her.

I was a man living in my own sin. She was a woman trying to escape her past.

         At first I didn't understand what she meant.

         I didn't believe her. I was already broken beyond mending. Damaged beyond my own

helping. My own fixing.

            Somewhere between secrets and lust, I found a haven.

            Somewhere between hate and passion, I lost myself.

            Somewhere between the fine line of pain and pleasure, I came alive.

             GRINDING MY TEETH, I gripped the banister so tight that the ring pinching the flesh of my fingers, overlooking the view of the Paris Metropolitan area from the hills of the secluded villa

             GRINDING MY TEETH, I gripped the banister so tight that the ring pinching the flesh of my fingers, overlooking the view of the Paris Metropolitan area from the hills of the secluded villa. I inhaled sharply, taking in the fresh breeze of the evening.

              "Christ James. You're getting too old for this." Donovan spoke, landing his hand over my shoulders as a sign endearment.

               "Worrying yourself like that." He stated as he stood beside me and leaned in against the staircase while he balanced his glass of vodka on top of it. I ignored him as I overlooked the sights of boats from the distance, admiring the mixture of modernity with the old world decadence.

              "You've obviously never experience the death of a lover." I stated, glaring at him from the corner of my eyes.

              "Actually, I have." He replied as he stood beside me, balancing his glass off whiskey on the banister.

               "Dimitri didn't send you here to lecture me did you?" I asked, my sight fixed on the waters. He breathe heavily and responded, "No he didn't."

                "Good. I'm too old to be lectured." I was twenty nine for god sake.

                "But he's worried about you, James."

                 I snickered, "Worried. That man isn't worried about anything other than himself. He's selfish, Don." I held on the railing as irritation pumped through me. I hated speaking about my father and Donovan knew that too. But he just had to bring him up. Again. My father and I haven't spoken to each other in four years. The only time we do speak is at office and even then, we avoided each other at all cost.

                  "Give him some credit. I know he hasn't the best father." He replied.

                   I glared at him after his bold statement, "Credit. I'll give credit where it is due. So far he has none. No fucking credit." I replied, swinging the last remainder of the whiskey at the back of my throat, savoring the burn.