2

what was I doing? I literally just got into Michael's car when lunch started. I barely know him. maybe this was a mistake...
we were driving away from the school parking lot when he asked me if I wanted to listen to any music. I said sure and he put the radio on and my favourite song came on. Tear In My Heart by Twenty One Pilots. my head shot up when I heard the chorus "...she's the tear in my heart, take me higher than I've ever been...." and surprisingly, Michael's did too.
"you like TØP?" I asked timidly
"hell yeah! Fake You Out is my shit!"
wow.. maybe he isn't that bad..?
we pulled up to McDonalds and went inside. I ordered a 6 piece chicken nugget and Michael ordered a 10 piece. once we sat down, we started to talk.
"so where are you from Michael? you said you weren't used to the time change so I assuming you're from the east coast?"
"yeah, I'm from New Jersey. my mom got a job here in Berkeley and we had to move. California isn't that bad"
"what's the supposed to mean" I said playfully
"my friends in Jersey said that California is full of weirdos and surfers, but I think that's only Los Angeles"
"well, they do have a point" I said, agreeing
there was a moment of silence while we ate our junk food until I bucked up the courage and asked
"why did you ask me to lunch today Mike?"
"I told you, you seem interesting, and I think you are"
"there's not much to me"
"come on," he sorta complained, "tell me about yourself"
"you first"
"fine. I'm Michael, I'm 15, and I'm from New Jersey. I'm total Twenty One Pilots trash. now you"
"alright. I'm Ashley, I'm 15 too, and I'm from Berkeley, California. I'm a fucking mess"
he looked at me thoughtfully for a second, until putting another chucking nugget in his mouth.
"we're going to be friends"
~
we had been talking at the McDonald's for well over 45 minutes until I realised that we had to get back to school. I told him so and he started freaking out because he was already late this morning and he didn't want to be late again. we got back into his car and sped back to school. by the time we got there we were already late, so we decided to blow 4th period off and just wander the halls.
"so show me the rest of the school Ash"
so we're already at nicknames, huh?
"well aren't you bossy Mr Clifford?"
"well, maybe, but seeing that you're my unassigned assigned 'buddy', you have to. I might get lost and find the principal and the secretary having sex in the teachers lounge! you wouldn't let that happen to me, would you Ashley?"
"you make a point, I guess I am your unassigned assigned buddy. and no, I wouldn't let that happen to you. let's go"
I showed him the halls, library, auditorium and bathrooms when he asked me where my favourite part of the school was. I said the exit, because it was my favourite part of the school. this place was a prison.
"ok. show me then"
"you want me to show you the exit."
"yes I do. let's get out of here"
I thought about it for a second until I realised that hanging out with a potential friend was a lot better than algebra class. I shrugged and then nodded my head yes. I took off running through the halls, Michael not far behind, until I was out the door and standing in the parking lot. I wonder where he wanted to go. he came out the door and stood there for a second staring at the sky thoughtfully. I didn't understand why he wanted to hang out with me in particular, but I was sort of glad he did.