The Chosen

I woke up in a cell and walked towards the bars. I looked out and see blackness, I concluded in my head that I am in the basement of the government building.

"Hello! Is anybody down here?" I called into the darkness hoping for a reply.

"Yeah, there is someone down, but I can't help you because I am locked up to." A raspy male voice said next to me.

"Jayce?" I asked hesitantly. Let me start a few days back because I bet you are confused. It all started when I turned sixteen, I had to move out of my parents' house by law and move in with someone of the different sex. Not to mention the government official's force you to marry at eighteen to someone you don't know. I don't agree with the laws not one bit because of a story my grandmother told me when I was seven years old.

"Kassidy come and sit on grandma's lap." Said my ninety nine year old grandmother. So I set down my dolls and walked over there.

"Grandma, I was playing dolls." I wined on her lap.

"Hush dearie I am going to tell you a story." She said shifting me on her lap.

"Ok, what is it about?" I asked looking up at her.

"Now didn't I tell you to hush? Okay, this story is about a man and a women but they never met before. So one day the women went walking around her city and was looking at all the buildings and the cars going past her. She wasn't paying attention to where she was walking and bumped into someone. She went to say sorry but she couldn't find her words to say it, so she just kept on walking but was stopped by the same man again. He apologized for bumping in to her and then asked her out to coffee. They soon feel in love and got married. They soon had a child who was just like a little flower small and beautiful." Grandma said finishing her story.

"Grandma I you have told me this one before." I said getting off her lap.

"I know Kassidy but it is an important story to remember because we don't get to find our own love anymore." I looked at her after she said that and her face looked disappointed. From that day on I remembered that story and found out later that grandmothers story was about her mother.

"Kassidy? Oh Kassidy are you listing to me?" I snap out of my thought and look at Jayce. Jayce is around six foot, and he has the perfect brown hair with light green eyes, where I am only 5'4" with blond hair and blue eyes. We have been best friends for what seems like forever.

"What, yeah I am listing." I said snapping out of my thought.

"Then what did I say?" He said with a questioning look on her face.

"Um... I don't know, I am sorry I was thinking."

"I asked what you want to do tonight." He said with that perfect white smile. I have been in love with him for what seems like a life time. But if I tell him that I do love him I could be thrown in jail for the rest of my life.

"I just want to stay in and watch TV." I answered walking toward the kitchen to grab something to drink. I heard Jayce say something but I couldn't make it out. I got my drink and I started to think about what my life is going to be like in a month when I turn eighteen and then I get married to someone I don't know. It angers me that I can't control who I love. I walk back out to the living room where Jayce is sitting and watching TV.

"Jayce I have to tell you something." I said with anger in my voice. I pulled him off the couch and turned off the TV.

"What do you need to tell me?" he asked rubbing his arm. I guess I hurt him.

"I have loved you forever and I don't think I can go through with finding out that we don't get picked for to each other I wouldn't be able to handle that. It would hurt too much to see you fall in love with another person."